corner corner Pompeii

Pompeii
by Robert Harris | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 10/19/2015

status (set by Silver-Greece): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 19, 2015

I enjoyed this a lot when I read it: I've long found volcanoes a fascinating subject, and the story of Pompeii is both intriguing and tragic.

The story is told from the point of view of a young engineer: he's trying to figure out what's wrong with the aqueduct...

Other copies on my BookCrossing shelf:

390672145809501170015713512175

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, October 19, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/19/2015 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out as a very late Birthday RABCK, direct from Better World Books. Hope it doesn't take too long to get there!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, October 30, 2015

The label for the "late" birthday present has arrived I look forward to reciveing it :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at An OBCZ , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, January 29, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (1/29/2016 UTC) at An OBCZ , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I very much enjoyed reading this book I thought it had a fantastic storyline and plot I also thought that the book was jam packed with fantastic historical detail. A must read book

Now off to an OBCZ
Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGlencorseCentrewing at Auchendinny, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 01, 2016

Thank you Abi, much appreciated. This will be on the shelf later this week.

I've actually read this one myself, I remember it as a good tale well told.

Journal Entry 6 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 09, 2016

Retreived from obcz

The 2016 UK Bookcrossing Unconvention will be held in Birmingham, 23-25 September 2016. Visit http://2016.bcukunconvention.co.uk/ for details!

Journal Entry 7 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 21, 2017

I decided to offer this book up as a bookray. You can find the forum details here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/536963

List so far:

nordie, in UK, prefers UK then EU postage
Flutterbies9, in UK, prefers UK postage
Silver-Greece, in UK, will post within EU
Greenbadger, in UK will post anywhere
penelopewanders, in Switzerland, EU postage only
Mankyi, in Switzerland, will post anywhere
Femke85, in Sweden, prefers EU postage
Icila, in France, will post anywhere

If this changes for any reason, I will update this journal entry as well as the forum post

Journal Entry 8 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 21, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (12/21/2017 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Posting out to Nordie today. Happy travels little book!

Although this book is registered at www.bookcrossing.com, you don't have to be a member. It's perfectly OK to just take the book and enjoy it. Of course, if you can visit the website and let us know that you've picked it up, that would be even better - you don't even have to join, you can add your comments anonymously - you can also post your review when you've read it, then return it or pass it on to someone else.

If you do join Bookcrossing, you'll be able to see what happens to it afterwards - for ever!

Journal Entry 9 by nordie at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, December 28, 2017

Arrived over the Christmas break, thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by nordie at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, January 11, 2018

This was the first non-ebook of the year, and had been on my reading wishlist for a while, so it was good to finally get my hands on a copy. I've always had "a thing" for volcanoes and I visited Pompeii a few years ago, so it seemed natural to want to read this.  I've read several of Harris' books before (e.g. Fatherland) and quite like his style.

The story starts 4 days before the eruption of Vesuvius, where Attilius has recently arrived in Misenum to look after the aqueduct. He finds that the previous engineer (Exomnius) disappeared several weeks before and no one is admitting to knowing, or caring, what happened to him. The first sign that something is wrong with the water is the death of a pool full of fish - expensive and mainly decorative, the loss of face is made worse by the fact that it is the feast of Vulcan, where tradition states that live fish are sacrificed onto hot coals. It is whilst the slave responsible for looking after the fish is being fed alive to the pool of eels that Attilius interrupts the "show" and determines that the fish died through poisoning - the water from the aqueduct has been tainted with sulphur.

From then it's a race to find out where the problem with the aqueduct is (Attilius makes an educated guess that it's somewhere around Pompeii and Vesuvius) and fix it before the water in the Bay of Naples dries up. Therefore he manages to get to Pompeii and persuades Pliny to grant him permission to investigate further.  In doing so, Attilius comes up against the worst of society: the ex-slave who has become one of the richest men in the area due to corruption and brutality (he's also the father of Attilius' love interest); the weak and feeble local council members who are too scared to make a decision, or stand up to the man they despise the most; the work-gang leader who resents Attilius' presence. He also comes upon Pliny, who is still well known (in some circles) for his extensive volumes of works, including a real time description of the eruption.   Attilius also gets to find out what happened to Exomnius and what he knew, both as an Engineer and a Sicilian (where they had paid attention to when Etna erupted).

Some parts of the book are stronger than others........Attilius's belief in Roman Engineering, understanding that a failure in the water supply would undermine most of the confidence in the Empire; Pliny (a known narrator of Vesuvius's explosion) and his logical and factual belief in reporting what *is*;  the understanding of some as to the effect of a lack of water would have on the "mob" etc. There are things that are a little less strong - the love interest (which was too short and shallow); the local council members were lightly sketched, and it was difficult to see how they had got to the position whereby they could be dominated so completely by an ex-slave.

On the whole, a reasonable thriller, set against a known historical fact, that had a couple of things that could have been tightened up a little, but I'm glad to have read it.

I have the address of the next in line and this will be in the post soon

Journal Entry 11 by nordie at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, January 19, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (1/18/2018 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off on it's travels!

Journal Entry 12 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Received on Sat 20th January. Will read and pass on asap.

Thanks for including me in this bookray cassandra2020.

Journal Entry 13 by wingFlutterbies9wing at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, January 26, 2018

In one of these odd coincidences, when I started reading this I realised that I had in fact read it previously, a number of years ago. However, I loved it again!

The historical and factual detail in this book is obviously well researched and the stories of the individual characters made the plot come alive. I have to agree with Nordie re: the love interest and the characterisation of the Pompeii officials, but on the whole although some were better described than others, most of human nature was well displayed through the small vignettes of 'real life' interspersed within the narrative.

Have pm'd next in line and awaiting details to send on.

Journal Entry 14 by wingFlutterbies9wing at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, January 26, 2018

Released 3 wks ago (1/27/2018 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On to the next reader in the ray. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Happy travels little book.

Journal Entry 15 by Silver-Greece at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, February 03, 2018

It's with me. I'll read it and send it to the next on the list.
Thank you all for sharing!