corner corner The Magic Toyshop [Virago Modern Classic No. 56]

The Magic Toyshop [Virago Modern Classic No. 56]
by Angela Carter | Literature & Fiction
Registered by sarahmangan of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on 10/17/2015

status (set by Shahrun): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by sarahmangan from Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 17, 2015

I love this book! I hope you do too. :)
-------------------
In this, her second novel, (awarded the 1967 John Llewellyn Rhys Prize) Angela Carter's brilliant imagination and starting intensity of style explore and extend the nature and boundaries of love.

Journal Entry 2 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 17, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/19/2015 UTC) at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

Posted as a swap. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book arrived safely I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 4 by 4evagreen at Furness Vale, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 05, 2017

Overall I found this an enjoyable read but it failed to really hit the mark with the intrigues not quite strong enough to rescue the book. Uncle Philip is largely absent from the book as he toils in his workshop and personally I would have liked to see him have an greater presence. Also the ending has rather strong echoes of Jane Eyre. All in all the book does not quite live up to it's fascinating opening but is still a worthwhile read.

Journal Entry 5 by 4evagreen at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (12/11/2017 UTC) at Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Going out as part of a swap as a Brucie Bonus. I hope that you have not already read it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Thank you so much for this surprise RABCK! Look forward to reading it.