corner corner The Setting Sun and the Rolling World

The Setting Sun and the Rolling World
by Charles Mungoshi | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Torgin of Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 10/5/2015

status (set by FraukeRo): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Torgin from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, October 05, 2015

"Charles Mungoshi is one of Southern Africa's leading writers, and this superb collection contains the best of his short stories. In a series of finely observed vignettes, he explores such themes as the conflict between generations and the clash between tradition and ambition, superstition and education, the old ways and the new."
_______________________

I've already read some of Mungoshi's children's stories which I liked very much. So I was interested to see how he deals with more serious topics. Although these vignettes - as they are rightly called by the blurb - concentrate on the "dark side" of human relations they didn't left me with a feeling of total despair. And it's quite amazing how Mungoshi manages to put (psychological) depth into his characters despite the brevity of the texts.

Journal Entry 2 by FraukeRo at Großefehn, Niedersachsen Germany on Sunday, November 22, 2015

Vielen Dank für das Bücherpaket!!!

Journal Entry 3 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, May 09, 2017

I finally got around to reading this collection of short stories. I'm not a big fan of short stories, I often would like to know much more about the characters and situations presented… this was also true for this collection: I thought there were many interesting stories but I am way too curious to find out more about the individual pieces to be able to truely enjoy the mosaic ;-) I'm curious if the writer has published any longer pieces, I would love to read those!

Journal Entry 4 by FraukeRo at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (5/31/2017 UTC) at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Coming with me to the meet-up :-)