corner corner Mary, Bloody Mary

Thank you for finding me.

Mary, Bloody Mary
by Carolyn Meyer | History
Registered by wingsheepettewing of Totton, Hampshire United Kingdom on 11/19/2016

status (set by estelle1806): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingsheepettewing from Totton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 19, 2016

Thank you for finding this book. It is now yours to do as you like with it. I hope you will read it. Once you have read it, Keep it, pass it on, read it again. It's up to you.

I would like it if you would let me know it is safe and what your plans with the book are. You can be anonymous, (unless you would like to register to find out what happens to the book after it has left you, even then you are only known by your screen name and no details are ever given out.)

Thank you and enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by wingsheepettewing at Totton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 19, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/19/2016 UTC) at Totton, Hampshire United Kingdom

sending as part of the scret santa game 2016. (released date not right as still have to post it.)

Journal Entry 3 by wingredfox5wing at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 26, 2016

Thank you for these two wish list books and the bath fizzer! Happy Christmas!

Journal Entry 4 by wingredfox5wing at Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, November 25, 2017

Mary is not remembered as being a great Queen, the nickname Bloody Mary should tell you all you need to know regarding her reputation. But it's easy to forget, just how terrible her upbringing was.

This book takes you from Mary as a young child all the way into her twenties, just after the death of Anne Boleyn. She had everything stripped from her, her title, her legitimacy and is taken from her mother. Forced to wait on her new sister who has taken her place and she also lives in fear that she will be assassinated at any time.

It's aimed at teenage readers, the book is written in an interesting enough way. It would certainly pique your interest in the subject and hopefully prompt you to find out more factual information.

However I feel it does young readers a disservice by missing out key moments and just making things up. The story is good enough to avoid this, the facts are more exciting than fiction!

I don't normally mind when historical fiction books take liberties but you can't call a book 'Mary Bloody Mary' and then hardly touch on the religious upheaval that gave Mary such a determination to turn the country back to Rome when she became Queen. This was a massive part of her life and was only mentioned once.

Also Lady Susan is a completely made up person. Norfolk didn't have a child called Susan. This is something that can quickly be checked online. If you are going to make up a character, it really needs to be one thats not related to one so well known. And don't even get me started on the talk of marriage to the already married Cromwell!

This aside, it was an entertaining read and will satisfy a fix for any Tudor fan and would keep the attention of someone who doesn't know much about the subject.

Journal Entry 5 by wingredfox5wing at Uk Secret Santa, Exchange -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 10, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (12/10/2017 UTC) at Uk Secret Santa, Exchange -- Controlled Releases

Happy Christmas! Enjoy the the wishlist book :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Monday, December 25, 2017

Thank you for the lovely Christmas presant

Journal Entry 7 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, March 08, 2018

I thought that this was a very interesting read, as well we all know that history remembers Queen Mary as a bad queen, hence the name Bloody Mary and that is the side we all have heard from history. I liked th fact that we are given an insight into Mary’s upbringing and what she went through before being crowned

Journal Entry 8 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Royal Flush sweepstakes , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (3/19/2018 UTC) at Royal Flush sweepstakes , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Now off to the winner of the royal Flush Sweepstakes

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

***Please Note***

Journal Entry 9 by estelle1806 at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, March 26, 2018

Just received this book as the winner of the Royal Flush Sweepstake. Thank you Abi-Gibby!

Journal Entry 10 by estelle1806 at Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, May 23, 2018

I really enjoyed this book - learning some historical facts was interesting, as I am a bit lost with the history of British monarchy...
Having said that, this was a pretty light read - apparently a Young Reader book (although it was never mentioned on the book itself) and I read it quite quickly.
I will reserve it for another occasion, maybe the next Royal Sweepstake...

Journal Entry 11 by estelle1806 at Outside Wall in Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland on Saturday, July 14, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Outside Wall in Clonsilla, Co. Dublin Ireland

Please let us know when you release it again...