corner corner Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
by Eben Alexander | Nonfiction
Registered by katiesmama of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 9/17/2015

status (set by BooksandMusic): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by katiesmama from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, September 17, 2015

I first heard about this book from my hairdresser. She raved about it, and highly recommended it as I had recently lost my husband and my mom. I found the book "okay". I have a strong faith so I had no problem with the premise of the book. I found the beginnings of his journey a little hard to reconcile with what I believe, but overall a man of science feeling this strongly about his experience and what he now believes is inspiring too. Adding this to Iwillrejoice's ABC Authors bookring "A" books. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, September 19, 2015

This book came my way for the author ring. I own this book so it will stay in the ring for the next person.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Thursday, October 08, 2015

Received in the A author bookring and I have selected it as the one that I will read, thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, October 16, 2016

Dr. Eben Alexander mysteriously contracts bacterial meningitis and spends a week in a deep coma. The chances of his survival are super slim to none. While in the coma he experiences some interesting phenomena; a Near Death Experience. Despite all medical predictions and statistical chances for survival he comes back, functional and not in the vegetative state predicted if he did survive, and he has a story to tell.
Do I believe that Eben is telling the truth as he remembers it? Yes. I believe in God and life after death, so why not this version? This was his experience and I don't judge it. His work as a neurosurgeon, status as a scientist and disinterest and disbelief in the spiritual aspect of existence before his NDE increased the dichotomy between his life and beliefs before and after and made his story more interesting than it might otherwise have been. The fact of the miracle of his survival is certainly enough to give a reader pause. That alone said something is going on here beyond a purely physical event.
I do find fascinating the adoption part of Eben's past and how that played into, well everything about who Eben is. As an adopted child myself I do feel that there are parallels in my emotional experience of being adopted to Eben's experience. I wonder about those seven years between the rejection by his birth mother and his NDE. Those years seem key to his illness and his NDE. I guess I just want to understand Eben's psychology more than he offered here, and he did actually offer quite a bit.
The only parts of the book I didn't care for were the parts where he promotes a meditation method and the organization that promotes and practices it; and the promotion of his own organization, an NDE non-profit. I didn't want to be sold on something or channeled into being involved in an organization. I just wanted to read Eben's experience. But maybe these promotions provide value to other people who have experienced NDE, although I always feel the "that happened to me too" factor can reduce any validity to an NDE story. It is like leading the witness.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

I am listing this book in the ABC VBB.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, February 05, 2017

This book was not selected in the ABC VBB. I am not sure what I am going to do with it next. I've decided to relist it in the ABC VBB and give it another chance.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, February 27, 2017

Not selected again, I am going to keep it.