corner corner Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland

Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland
by Gerald Clarke | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Ythan of Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on 9/12/2015

status (set by penelopewanders): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Ythan from Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 12, 2015

Synopsis:

Judy Garland - the girl with the pigtails, the symbol of innocence in the The Wizard of Oz; the brightest star of the Hollywood musical and an entertainer of almost magical power; the woman of a half-dozen comebacks, a hundred heartbreaks and countless thousands of headlines.

Now, more than thirty years after her death, the true story of this astonishing woman can be revealed. Gerald Clarke's biography draws on a remarkable list of sources to tell the tale, including the unfinished manuscript of Judy's autobiography, and brings to vivid life the unforgettable characters who played leading roles in her unending drama - from Orson Welles to Yul Brynner, James Mason to Frank Sinatra.

Told with humour, tears, emotion and love. Get Happy is the complete biography of the unforgettable Judy Garland.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Rules:

1) Make a Journal Entry when you a) Receive it, b) Review it and c) Release it.

2) Try to Read it within 6 weeks, let me know if it will take longer.

3) Enjoy.

Participant List:

1) Bookworm-lady, Spain (Europe)
2) penelopewanders, Switzerland (Europe)
3) earthcaroleanne, UK (UK)
4) Abi-Gibby, UK (UK)
5) Back to Ythan
6) Billbooks, Australia (Int'l)
7) Southernfryed, USA (USA)

Thanks for taking part.

Ythan :)

Journal Entry 2 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2017

Book 37 of 87, 87 books for 87 years.

In memory of my gran (Ena).

4.7.1920 - 22.12.2007.

Always in our hearts.

Journal Entry 3 by Ythan at Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2017

Much more in-depth story than I was expecting; it started off well and drew me in but as the story progressed it became very repetitive and by the end was starting to suck the life out of me.

Now that it's complete, I'm left feeling with a profound disappointment in every aspect of her life. One minute she is a victim of her Mother, people she works with, the men in her life, then all of a sudden she is a completely manipulative diva; whether that comes from her upbringing, drug addiction, possible bipolar disorder or just the way she was or had to become to further her career.

She definitely had more second chances in the world of show business than I would have expected but she never really seemed to get anywhere or learn anything from her mistakes or her successes.

Overall, I guess this story really concludes as a cautionary tale to stay away from show business, drugs and quit while you are ahead and make a better, less chaotic, safer life for yourself and people who genuinely love you for who you are and not what gifts you have.

Journal Entry 4 by Ythan at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (5/12/2017 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

On its way to Spain.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, May 20, 2017

And here it is; thanks for sharing, Ythan, I think I will start it soon, as I am very interested (and the book I am currently reading is terribly boring...)

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Currently reading it; I will ask Penelopewanders for her address.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, August 06, 2017

What a poignant story, and how well researched and written!
I read Truman Capote's biography by Mr Clarke many years ago, and I remember I also enjoyed it a lot.
A very talented lady indeed (I get very emotional each time I see her sing "The Man that Got Away" in "A Star is Born"), a great singer with a privileged voice, who became a moving actress and disciplined dancer... but who had become an addict since childhood, and had disastrous relationships throughout her life.
Any woman who could write (and believe) that "In the obscure recesses of their hearts, all women know that the male must lead, the female must follow"... was indeed bound for disaster.
Only 47 when she died, but looking much older, she could have led a happier life had she not been plagued by debts, alcohol, drugs, inadequate husbands...
This book has led me straight to my musicals on DVD, I would like to remember Ms Garland as she was then, singing "Over the Rainbow"...
Thanks for sharing, Ythan; now the book will travel to Penelopewanders in Switzerland...

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, August 21, 2017

Released 4 wks ago (8/21/2017 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent to Penelopewanders, who is next in this bookray.
Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, August 23, 2017

This has arrived safely in the Swiss alps. A new term in starting up with loads of meetings and work-related reading, but I'll try to get to this soon. Thanks so much for sending and for making this book available.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, September 06, 2017

This is here as a ring, and I don't suppose I would have read the biography otherwise. It was interesting, and terrible at the same time, as unhappy lives can be. At some point Garland's reckless faith in people unworthy of a second glance boggles the mind. Perhaps the scene where she's franctically looking for her money - under the carpet and elsewhere - is one of the significant ones. To think she was able to generate so much money time and time again, and ends her life practically destitute is pretty shocking to me. Yes, she surely squandered a lot of money, not to mention her health - both physical and mental, thanks to (or no thanks to!) her drug addiction, but at the end of the day it was her inability to find (and especially accept) the necessary support allowing her to help herself which seems to have been her downfall. An interesting read, but I can't say I "got happy" reading it.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, September 11, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (9/11/2017 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

This now leaves the Swiss Alps and heads over to the UK. Thanks so much for making this available. Enjoy!