corner corner The Chemist

The Chemist
by Stephenie Meyer | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/26/2016

status (set by winnipegobcz): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, December 26, 2016

My husband spoils me silly. He bought this hardcover book for me for Christmas 2016. I had seen some reviews for this and was intrigued but wasn't sure about the author who I only know as the author of the YA vampire series Twilight. I haven't read those but any vampire fiction I have tried has not impressed me. However, I am sure she writes well and as long as there are no vampires in this book I think I will like it.

Amazon Editorial Review
In this gripping page-turner, an ex-agent on the run from her former employers must take one more case to clear her name and save her life. She used to work for the U.S. government, but very few people ever knew that. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning. Now, she rarely stays in the same place or uses the same name for long. They’ve killed the only other person she trusted, but something she knows still poses a threat. They want her dead, and soon. When her former handler offers her a way out, she realizes it’s her only chance to erase the giant target on her back. But it means taking one last job for her ex-employers. To her horror, the information she acquires only makes her situation more dangerous. Resolving to meet the threat head on, she prepares for the toughest fight of her life, but finds herself falling for a man who can only complicate her likelihood of survival. As she sees her choices being rapidly whittled down, she must apply her unique talents in ways she never dreamed of. In this tautly plotted novel, Meyer creates a fierce and fascinating new heroine with a very specialized skill set. And she shows once again why she’s one of the world’s bestselling authors.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, April 30, 2017

Fortunately this book was a straight-forward thriller with no vampires as Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books were known to have. I don't do vampires. Even the original vampire book, Bram Stoker's Dracula, was rather silly I thought and the modern books just don't do anything for me. However, as I say this book has no vampires and I enjoyed it moderately.

Dr. Juliana Ferriss used to work for a secret agency of the US government which extracted confessions from terrorists. Dr. Ferriss's speciality was using drugs that would cause pain but not kill. She was very skilled and had a great track record for getting the information the government needed to foil terrorist threats. Three years ago someone killed her mentor and almost killed her. She has been on the run ever since and has been targeted three more times. She managed to survive each attack. Careful to avoid detection she checks her email from a safe location and finds a message from her old agency that they need her special skills. If she does this job she will be safe they promise. She doesn't really believe them but three years on the run has her thinking that it would be nice to live normally again. She meets with the man who sent the email, Carston, and learns that the target is a teacher who is involved with a Mexican mobster who has a deadly toxin he intends to unleash in the US. Knowing she could save the lives of thousands of innocent citizens and clear her name is irresistible. When she kidnaps Daniel Beach she gets far more than she bargained for including a romance with her victim.

I can just see this being made into a movie. The romance is pretty far-fetched but it would draw in people who wouldn't come to a straight-forward thriller and the action scenes would attract people who wouldn't be caught dead at a romance.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (5/17/2017 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I am taking this book to the Winnipeg meet-up tonight in what will be the new home for the Winnipeg OBCZ. If no-one grabs it you can find it on the OBCZ shelf.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 4 by wingwinnipegobczwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, May 19, 2017

This book is currently sitting on the Winnipeg Official Bookcrossing Zone bookshelf in Second Cup, 254 Edmonton St., Winnipeg MB.

It is waiting there for a new reader to take home, read, and release back into the wild!

Journal Entry 5 by wingwinnipegobczwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, June 21, 2017

This book has left the OBCZ shelf. Hopefully it will let us know where it is and what its new reader thought of it.