corner corner The Absent One: A Department Q Novel

The Absent One: A Department Q Novel
by Jussi Adler-Olsen | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/25/2015

status (set by winnipegobcz): available

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, December 25, 2015

This book and the first in the series, The Keeper of Lost Causes, were part of my Christmas present from my lovely husband.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Nordic noir indeed. This is the second book in the Department Q series that I have read. Following in the footsteps of Stieg Larssen and Henning Mankell Jussi Adler-Olsen exposes the dark underbelly of Scandinavian society. I find it hard to believe that the countries of Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland are as dark and violent as these writers portray. After all these countries consistently show up in the top of the lists of countries that are good places to live. Perhaps when you no longer have to worry about sickness and poverty and lousy housing your thoughts can turn to other ways to show how humanity can go wrong.

In this book Department Q, the division assigned to looking into unsolved cases, has been augmented by a secretary, Rose. Carl Morck and his assistant Assad have taken on a case that supposedly has already been solved. The murder of a brother and sister twenty years ago threw suspicion on a group of boarding school students but nothing could ever be proven. Then about 9 years ago one of the group confessed and he is serving time in prison. So why are Morck and his department looking into it again? That's what Morck's superiors want to know but the more Morck and Assad and Rose look at the evidence the more it seems that this group is guilty of not just this crime but others. Morck wants to find the one girl involved in the group, Kimmi, because she is the one who seems the most vulnerable. The remaining three men are all very successful and protected but Kimmi is homeless and psychologically disturbed. Finding Kimmi is very difficult though because she does not want to be found.

I don't think I would want to read a steady diet of these type of books but there is a certain fascination in seeing how the evidence slowly accumulates. As well, the relationships among the team members get more interesting with each book. I can certainly see myself reading the next in the series, A Conspiracy of Faith.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, August 25, 2016

I have lent this book to my librarian friend as she is a fan of Nordic noir.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, December 14, 2016

This book is back home with me after a short visit with my librarian friend. She enjoyed this book and the first one in the series.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (5/17/2017 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I am taking this book to the Winnipeg meet-up tonight in what will be the new home for the Winnipeg OBCZ. If no-one grabs it you can find it on the OBCZ shelf.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 6 by wingwinnipegobczwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, May 19, 2017

This book is currently sitting on the Winnipeg Official Bookcrossing Zone bookshelf in Second Cup, 254 Edmonton St., Winnipeg MB.

It is waiting there for a new reader to take home, read, and release back into the wild!