corner corner Baudolino

Baudolino
by Umberto Eco | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ealasaidmae of New Orleans, Louisiana USA on 8/1/2015

status (set by ealasaidmae): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Saturday, August 01, 2015

from the cover:

"It is April 1204 and Constantinople is being sacked and burned by the knights of the Fourth Crusade. Amid the carnage and confusion, one Baudolino saves a historian and high court official from certain death and proceeds to tell his own magical story.

Born a simple peasant in Northern Italy, Baudolino has two major gifts - a talent for learning languages and a skill in telling lies. When he charms Emperor Frederick Barbarossa with his wit, the commander adopts Baudolino and sends him to the university in Paris, where he makes a number of fearless, adventurous friends.

Spurred on by myths and their own reveries, this merry band sets out in search of Prester John, a legendary priest-king said to rule over a vast kingdom in the East - a phantasmagorical land of strange creatures with eyes on their shoulders and mouths on their stomachs, of eunuchs, unicorns, and lovely maidens."

Journal Entry 2 by ealasaidmae at New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Sunday, April 03, 2016

This followed the pattern of Eco books for me: I started out flying and immediately interested, then about three-quarters through I began to drag. His books are fascinating but they're just so long and detailed. I was reading this when Eco died. Even if I might not have read any more of his books it's still sad to think that they just won't be there.

Journal Entry 3 by ealasaidmae at Bayou St. John in New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (4/4/2017 UTC) at Bayou St. John in New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Park at Esplanade and Crete

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I've registered this book here so that I can keep up on where it goes, who reads it, and what they thought of it. Please leave a quick journal entry so I know it's safe with you, then read and enjoy! When you're through, pass the book along to someone else who will appreciate it. We can all track this book's journey and the lives it touches forever more!

Thank You!