corner corner The Martian

The Martian
by Andy Weir | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by dturnip1 of Rockville, Maryland USA on 7/23/2015

status (set by FeistyPom2Love): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by dturnip1 from Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, July 23, 2015

For my pal Andy..

Journal Entry 2 by dturnip1 at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 23, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (7/23/2015 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Welcome to bookcrossing! Please comment about your found book, it would make me happy to know where books I've read have traveled to!

Journal Entry 3 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, July 23, 2015

When this book first came out, I tried to win a give away copy from Goodreads several times, without success. I read/heard many good reviews of it, including a positive mention on NPR's Science Friday show, so when I was offered this copy, there was no way I was going to pass it up. I'll read this next.

Journal Entry 4 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, August 05, 2015

The story of the castaway struggling to survive on his own after being stranded far from civilization has been around a long time. Even if you haven’t read Defoe’s “Robinson Crusoe” you are probably familiar with the story. There have been many variations on this theme. But what most of them have in common is that the castaways are stranded somewhere on Earth, where there is air to breathe, and probably water to drink, even if food may be hard to come by.

Mark Watney isn’t so lucky. He’s trapped on Mars. His crewmates thought he was dead and evacuated without him. Now he’s alone on a planet that is utterly incapable of supporting human life, without any way to communicate with his crew or with Earth. He knows that another mission will arrive, eventually. But can he manage to stay alive long enough to be rescued?

This is actually a thrilling survival story, where the hero faces seemingly impossible odds with little but his determination, skills, and sense of humor. And every time it begins to look like he may be beating those odds, another disaster reminds him (and the readers) of just how dangerous his predicament is.

Packed with a wealth of technical and scientific details, this book remains a page turner. It draws the reader in, hoping against hope that Watney can survive and find a way to return to Earth. In spite of his obvious skills, Watney is still portrayed as an everyman, someone we can all identify with and root for. It is every bit as compelling as the real life struggle of the Apollo 13 crew, but amplified by the incredible remoteness of Mars. An excellent and thrilling tale.

Journal Entry 5 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, August 06, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (8/6/2015 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Mailing this book off to Pennsylvania to a bookcrosser who had it on her wish list. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Thank you for granting my wish, ResQgeek! I, too, have heard nothing but good things about "The Martian"—it is now at the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 7 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, August 31, 2015

What a great story! I was so invested in it that I read it straight-through—something I probably haven't done since the last Harry Potter book! It was creative and geeky and I think my brain cells were actually sighing with contentment by the time I finished.

This book also lets me mark a square on my 2015 Reading BINGO card: "A Book from a 'Best of 2014' List."

Journal Entry 8 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, August 31, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (8/31/2015 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks again, for sharing this with me, Andy. I'm passing it on to my sister, who will likely read and return it so I can share it with another reader.

Journal Entry 9 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, October 05, 2015

Sister No. 3 returned this to me, so it is ready for a new adventure.

Journal Entry 10 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, October 08, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (10/7/2015 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

"The Martian" is going to California to fulfill a wish. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at San Ramon, California USA on Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Yay!! This book arrived safely in the mail today. I'm looking forward to reading it. I had high hopes of reading The Martian before the movie came out, but that didn't happen, lol!!

This weekend my hubby wants to see The Martian in the movie theater, so will actually be seeing the movie before reading the book. I'm curious to see how the two will compare with one another as I usually like the book better than the movie.