corner corner The Secret Garden (Collins Classics)

The Secret Garden (Collins Classics)
by Frances Hodgson Burnett | Children's Books
Registered by Cfreckle of Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on 7/22/2015

status (set by LittleSuz): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Cfreckle from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 22, 2015

"One of th' gardens is locked up. No one has been in it for ten years."

When orphaned Mary Lennox comes to live at her uncle's great house on the Yorkshire Moors, she finds it full of mysterious secrets. There are nearly one hundred rooms, most of which are locked, and the house is filled with creepy old portraits and suits of armor. Mary rarely sees her uncle, and perhaps most unsettling of all is that at night she hears the sound of someone crying down one of the long corridors.

The gardens surrounding the odd property are Mary's escape and she explores every inch of them—all except for the mysterious walled-in, locked garden. Then one day, Mary discovers a key. Could it open the door to the garden?

Journal Entry 2 by Cfreckle at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/30/2015 UTC) at A Book box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

This book went into Cfreckle's Bookbox. Happy travels !

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, October 11, 2015

Taken out of cfreckle's random book box, another unknown author to me so looking forward to reading this soon

Journal Entry 4 by wingkinediwing at Edinburgh Book Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (8/13/2016 UTC) at Edinburgh Book Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 27, 2016

Catching up with some long-delayed book crossing admin - sorry!

Journal Entry 6 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2018

I read this during the spring which turned out to be the very best time. The author's enthusiasm for the magic of that season is infectious and I soon found myself examining the clematis in our garden whilst repeating "it's wick!" over and over in my head.

The story is very sweet, and quite poignant to read as a parent. I like the way the children were grumpy and unpleasant for large parts of it. But the novel is also very overdone and unrealistic in many places. Gardens may be nice, but I don't think they are *quite* as emotionally transformative for young children as is depicted here!

Journal Entry 7 by wingLittleSuzwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, July 01, 2018

Released 2 wks ago (7/1/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Taken to the meetup.

If you are new to bookcrossing - welcome and congratulations for finding a book! Please leave a journal entry to let me and any other readers know where it has gone and what you thought of it.