corner corner Betsy in Spite of Herself - BOOKRAY

Betsy in Spite of Herself - BOOKRAY
by Maud Hart Lovelace | Children's Books
Registered by grover3d of Charleston, West Virginia USA on Monday, March 22, 2004

status (set by lyssrose): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Monday, March 22, 2004

Book 6 in the Betsy-Tacy series (the greatest series of all time! =)). This is going out as part of a bookray of the entire series. Enjoy!

****For routing list please check my bookshelf page and for US to US addresses please use Delivery Confirmation and post number in your journal entry!****

Off to nyisutter - DC# 0302 0980 0001 2032 8949

Journal Entry 2 by nyisutter from St. Charles, Missouri USA on Friday, April 02, 2004

This just arrived with 2 other Betsy books. I look foward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by nyisutter from St. Charles, Missouri USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Finished last night. I really enjoyed this one. There were some surprise twists in this one! Spoiler ---> I thought sure Betsy would win this year's contest! Even till they announced Joe was the winner, I thought they would suprise us by saying she won! But I am glad she put the effort in this year. <---Spoiler.

I am really glad I have the next one here as I am anxious to see what happens next! Too bad I have to be gone all day! Thanks again for sharing these books. I see now that I am definitely going to have to start collecting my own copies for my kids!

Sidenote added May 4, 2004
I was reading St. Louis: A Concise History last night and it had a chapter that correlated well with this book. It was a little history of the "forty-eighters", the Germans who came to America in 1848. It was interesting to get a little more background into families like Tibs'. This is one reason I love historical fiction like this. It makes the history books so much more interesting to be able to put life to it.

Journal Entry 4 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, April 30, 2004

Received in today's mail along with the previous book and the next book in the series.

Journal Entry 5 by sejent from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Friday, August 20, 2004

Sending on to kayters in Marietta, GA.

Journal Entry 6 by kayters from Lawrenceville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, October 05, 2004

I forgot to journal this before I mailed it out. I had my own copy of this, so I had already read it again by the time it arrived, but I enjoyed the photos and info in the back of the book. I love this about the new editions!

Journal Entry 7 by kayters at To BookCrosser in Evanston, Illinois -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Released 10 yrs ago (10/4/2004 UTC) at To BookCrosser in Evanston, Illinois -- Controlled Releases

RELEASE NOTES: Sent on to the next person in the ring! :) See the journal for Betsy Was a Junior for delivery confirmation number.

Journal Entry 8 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Thursday, October 07, 2004

"Turning, she saw a red automobile. It was passing with almost meteorlike swiftness, fifteen or twenty miles an hour."

This arrived today. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, October 09, 2004

I'm about a third of the way through this. Loved reading about the trip to the restaurant, and the idea that anything sophisticated and elegant is "just like the Twin Cities."
One of the things I enjoy about this series is learning about people and places of the early 1900s. The older sister, Julia, wants to be a famous opera singer like Geraldine Farrar. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I now know that Geraldine Farrar caused a sensation in Madame Butterfly, wrote an autobiography called Such Sweet Compulsion, and had legions of fans who called themselves Gerryflappers.

Journal Entry 10 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Sunday, October 10, 2004

Delightful. I think this is my favorite book in the series (so far) because of its message that it's important to be yourself and let others see you as you really are rather than trying to put up a front.

I haven't been able to find out what a train letter is . . . I guess people's friends and relatives used to write them letters to be read on a train to pass the time?

Thanks for sharing these.

Journal Entry 11 by rampallion at Controlled Release in Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Released 10 yrs ago (10/13/2004 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to spaceystacey via mediamail. Should arrive in about a week. USPS Delivery Confirmation # 0304 1070 0001 5976 8812 . Check www.usps.com for updates.

Journal Entry 12 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Saturday, October 23, 2004

Received in the post within the last week. Will be reading shortly and then posting to Germany.

Journal Entry 13 by nikel27 from Ginsheim-Gustavsburg, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, December 14, 2004

arrived safe at my house, more later

update:
These series getting better and better, it is good to see how Betsy is growing older with each book

Journal Entry 14 by nikel27 at Post Office in BookRay, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 06, 2005

Released on Monday, January 10, 2005 at about 8:00:00 AM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Post Office in BookRay, Ginsheim Controlled Releases.

EnJoy the book !!!

Journal Entry 15 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Thursday, March 03, 2005

It arrived safely. I will probably finish both books this weekend.

Love the journal pic, nikel27!

Journal Entry 16 by wingTexasWrenwing from Hillsboro, Texas USA on Thursday, March 10, 2005

I love the innocence of these stories, like when Betsy tells Phil that she doesn't hold hands. She is the same age as my oldest granddaughter. I'm tempted to make her read it and say, "If it was good enough for Betsye!" lol
I wonder if most of us haven't tried on a new personality at some point during out teen years. How can we really know who we are if we don't try on several "us"!
Oh, and I wish I had thought of starched ruffles across my bosom during certain teen years!
One other thing that I like about the era is that things are done at certain times. In this one, Betsy got her first suit-because she was of an age wehre young ladies got their first suits. There was a certain age when they began to wear their hair up. There was a certain age for so many milestones, and I think it was a good thing. Wouldn't you love to tell your daughter that she couldn't get a tattoo until she was 18, because that's the age when young ladies get tattoos!
DC #0304-1560-0004-9511-0700

Journal Entry 17 by 1stlite from Forsyth, Montana USA on Saturday, March 12, 2005

Received in the mail today. Can hardly wait to get started. These are wonderful books.

Journal Entry 18 by 1stlite from Forsyth, Montana USA on Saturday, March 19, 2005

I thought this was a good installment in Betsy's life. I, too, went through a horrid (I see that now) time when I wanted so not to be me. I think its something that needs to be done to see that who you are is the best thing.

I was glad to see Tib in here. It was a good adventure for Betsy. And to go to Milwaukee! What a great time.

Tacy is the ultimate best friend. We all need at least one of those.

And I find this to be one of my favorite quotes - "To thine own self be true." Truer words were never spoken.

Journal Entry 19 by 1stlite from Forsyth, Montana USA on Friday, April 08, 2005

Being sent on as part of the Betsy-Tacy bookray. Mailing to surfenkitten on April 9, 2005.

Journal Entry 20 by surfenkitten from Audubon, New Jersey USA on Thursday, April 21, 2005

somehow i didn't journal this when it came in; i'm sure i had! but i finished it and am again tickled. More Christmas! and in German too! Wunderbar! Tib is a lot more serious than i thought she'd be though. No matter, Betsy is as full of fun for both of them. i guess most people wish they were different at one point or another, and some even carry it out (like i did around age 14, but just like Betsy, i forgot most of the time!) To thine own self be true is a lot easier anyway. besides, Betsy was way too good for that snob Phil.

loved the bit about the dances. i'd heard about & seen dance cards, but never knew how they worked, exactly. how fun! unfortunately though, i have no idea what a schottische is (it's definitely German though!) any help on this one, Rampillion? ;)

p.s. i'm sorry, but Merry Widow Hats are hideous. really.

Journal Entry 21 by lyssrose from Austin, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Just received today - looking forward to reading it! :)