corner corner Bibliotherapy : The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives

Bibliotherapy : The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
by Nancy Peske and Beverly West | Nonfiction
Registered by grover3d of Charleston, West Virginia USA on Monday, February 09, 2004

status (set by kab113): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Monday, February 09, 2004

My sister-in-law gave me a copy of this book as the PERFECT bridesmaid gift. When I found this copy at a used book store I scooped it up. I'll check to see if there is interest in a bookring - otherwise it will go into a bookbox.

DC# - 0302 0980 0001 2032 7829 - PLEASE don't forget to use delivery confirmation for US to US addresses! Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by schmetterling from Durham, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Received as part of a BookRing. I saw Cinematherapy in a thrift shop and DOH! did not buy it, even though I love movies. But I love books more.
I notice that after some of the entries for books there are questions about the book, sort of like a reading-group guide. Some of these books I have read and some are on my TBR shelf, so I will pay special attention to those questions. Perhaps I will find special insight there.

Journal Entry 3 by schmetterling from Durham, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 25, 2004

There are a ton of great titles in here! I think this book is one that I would like to own, so that when moods strike me in the future I can look through the book and see what might suit me.
I do believe, however, that the Cinematherapy book would be better for me, since my moods swing around pretty often and don't last long enough to make it through an entire book. I'm a Cancer, what can I do? ;)

This book was sent off to the next reader today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by katssokrazy from Stone Mountain, Georgia USA on Monday, March 29, 2004

Received this in a book ring today. I've been wanting to read it since I first heard about it, so I can't wait.

Journal Entry 5 by katssokrazy from Stone Mountain, Georgia USA on Monday, April 12, 2004

It's hard to find honest, open reviews on books, but this one lives up to its claim. I was particularly fond of the 'books to be thrown across the room.' Very fitting titles in those sections. There were many titles in the book that I have read, many that I have thought about reading, and some totally new ones. So I've added to my reading wish list!

The book has been sent back to grover3d to send on to the next person.

Journal Entry 6 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Monday, April 19, 2004

Brief visit back to West Virginia - it will go to BountifulPots (formerly rslicer) this week.

DC# - 0303 2460 0000 0735 0296

Journal Entry 7 by wingBountifulPotswing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Monday, April 26, 2004

I'm very excited to read this one. I've already thumbed through it and am excited to read the reviews of books I have already read, as well as get suggestions for new books to read. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by wingBountifulPotswing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Sunday, May 09, 2004

I adored this book as a reference. I'm going to have to get a copy of my own, because there is too much good information and too many good questions to ask as you're reading these books to completely let go! I will send it on as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 9 by Candyfloss from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Hello all

This book arrived safe and well last week, but unfortunately I was sent overseas by work at short notice so haven't been able to post yet.

Have had a good flick and it looks fabulous. It is already whetting my appetite for other books I just HAVE to read. Like some of the other posters have said thought- I think I'm going to need my own copy as a reference book.

Will post a fuller review when I have had a chance to read through in the next week or so.

Apologies- I should have written this ages ago! I have now sent the book on its way to Sydney and here our my thoughts.

This book is great! But it is definitely a reference book. I didn't read it sequentially but instead dipped in and out of it according to my mood. Which is fine but it did perhaps take me longer this way. It gave me loads of great ideas for extra books to read- and it's not like I need any encouragement! I see there is a film equivalent of this book- I'd like to get my hands on that too.

Many thans for making this a bookring. I'm off to try and track down my own copy now.

Journal Entry 10 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, July 30, 2004

Turned up in the mail this week, thanks candyfloss! And thanks grover3d for starting up the ring!

Looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 11 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, August 23, 2004

I read this book pretty much from cover to cover, skipping books I wasn't that interested in (mainly the self-help ones).

I was a bit disappointed that self-help books were included. It's a genre I really can't stomach, and I was hoping more for interesting angles on fiction classics (and not-so-classics). I'm a fiction addict. Actually, there probably weren't that many self-help books, it just felt like a lot to me. :)

I really liked the section on Bad Girls (go Scarlett! go Mame!). And I thought that the authors brought some great perspective to the books. (And I loved the "Books to be Thrown with Great Force" sections. I just would have put 99% of self-help books in that category.)

I've PMed Zmrzlina for her address, and will pop this in the post asap.

UPDATE 31-AUG-2004: popped in the post to Zmrzlina today! Economy air, so should be there in a week or two.

Journal Entry 12 by Zmrzlina from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 19, 2004

Looking forward to reading this then sending it on to the next in the ring, but....where is the flight list? I don't see it here in the journal. Is it right in front of my nose and I am just too tired from a busy weekend to see it?

Journal Entry 13 by Zmrzlina from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, January 17, 2005

The back of the book has this blurb, "Because women read books differently than guys do..." which sets my teeth on edge because everybody, regardless of gender, reads books differently and it is just asking for trouble to create a gender divide. The rest of the description goes on to say books are "therapy that fits in our bag" and they "help us deal with our baggage as we navigate life's journey." Have you gagged yet? I did, but then I started reading it.

The writing is very cutesy, but beyond that, most of the recommended books are ones that many book lover read a long time ago..."Catcher in the Rye," "Gone With the Wind," "Charlotte's Web," etc, etc, etc. Other recommendations are far too obvious... Steinem, Chopin, Plath. Very few titles surprised me. The one good point about this book are the segments in every chapter titled "Books to Be Thrown With Great Force." Ellen Fein (The Rules) and Dr. Laura get the toss, which shows the authors are at least living in this century.

This might be a good book for a woman who loves to read, but is stuck in Chick Lit or series mysteries. In fact, I've thought of finding a used copy to send to my 25 year old daughter, who could open a Chick Lit bookstore with just the books she read last year. Bibliotherapy just isn't an interesting read for someone who reads as much as I do.

Journal Entry 14 by kab113 from Troy, Ohio USA on Thursday, February 17, 2005

I'm sorry everyone! I didn't realize that I hadn't journaled about receiving this book until I just went to say that I have finished reading it and am preparing to send it on. My already incredibly long TBR list has grown by quite a few books resulting from this book, and the book also included books I do and not agree with. I did agree with Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy but I detested Persuasian by Jane Austen. Just my opinion... Thanks for including me in this ring!

Journal Entry 15 by kab113 from Troy, Ohio USA on Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sorry for the delay but I finally mailed this book off today. Thank you for including me on this ring!