corner corner Matthew Flinders' Cat

Matthew Flinders' Cat
by Bryce Courtenay | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tantan of Townsville, Queensland Australia on 2/7/2004

status (set by luckaye): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Saturday, February 07, 2004

Matthew Flinders' Cat is the story of a drunk, a boy and a cat.

Billy O'Shannessy, once a prominent barrister, is now on the street where he sleeps on a bench outside the State Library. Above him on the window sill rests a bronze statue of Matthew Flinders' cat, Trim. Ryan is a ten-year-old, a near street kid heading for all the usual trouble. The two meet and form an unlikely friendship.

Appealing to the boy's imagination by telling him the story of the circumnavigation of Australia as seen through Trim's eyes, Billy is drawn deeply into Ryan's life and into the Sydney underworld. Over several months the two begin the mutual process of rehabilitation.

Matthew Flinders' Cat is a modern-day story of a city, its crime, the plight of the homeless and the politics of greed and perversion. It is also a story of the human heart, with an enchanting glimpse into our past from the viewpoint of a famous cat.

Matthew Flinders' Cat is an extraordinary and moving novel by an internationally bestselling author."

This book is available, but as it is a rather large hardback I will only post it within Australia.

Journal Entry 2 by tantan from Townsville, Queensland Australia on Thursday, February 03, 2005

Posted to wombles today as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Friday, February 04, 2005

Thanks Tantan for sending me this! I heard the story of Trim while at the ABC convention and though I didn't get to see him, it had me intrigued! It will go to the top of my tbr mountain and I will read it asap!

Journal Entry 4 by wombles at monthly meetup in Brisbane, Bookcrossing Meetup -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 27, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (10/28/2006 UTC) at monthly meetup in Brisbane, Bookcrossing Meetup -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 5 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, October 29, 2006

Orphaned at the lunch meet and came home with me. I have read and enjoyed almost all of his books, but had sort of had enough by the time this came out. Highly recommended by a couple of people at lunch so I'll probably give it a go.

Journal Entry 6 by luckaye from Logan City, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 19, 2007

Thank you!