corner corner Flatland

Flatland
by Edwin A. Abbott | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Luanalara of Erkelenz, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 4/8/2015

status (set by Wichtelkoenigin): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Luanalara from Erkelenz, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Flatland is one of the very few novels about math and philosophy that can appeal to almost any layperson. Published in 1880, this short fantasy takes us to a completely flat world of two physical dimensions where all the inhabitants are geometric shapes, and who think the planar world of length and width that they know is all there is. But one inhabitant discovers the existence of a third physical dimension, enabling him to finally grasp the concept of a fourth dimension. Watching our Flatland narrator, we begin to get an idea of the limitations of our own assumptions about reality, and we start to learn how to think about the confusing problem of higher dimensions. The book is also quite a funny satire on society and class distinctions of Victorian England.

Journal Entry 2 by Luanalara at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, April 10, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (4/13/2015 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Starts its journey and travels to Wichtelkoenigin. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by Wichtelkoenigin at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, April 18, 2015

The book has arrived at my place today.

Thank you for sharing it with me, Luanalara! :-)

Journal Entry 4 by Wichtelkoenigin at Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 30, 2015

A really unusual book that I enjoyed very much.
I loved both the idea of a world inhabited by geometric shapes and the figures that come along with it as well as the societal criticism. Interesting to read such an early example of a fantasy story, written in Victorian England.

Journal Entry 5 by Wichtelkoenigin at Kalk - Bücherregal vor Bäckerei Schlechtrimen in Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (6/3/2015 UTC) at Kalk - Bücherregal vor Bäckerei Schlechtrimen in Köln, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Released the book on a public book shelf in Cologne, Germany.

Have a nice trip, little book, and do not hesitate to leave a message when you are with your next reader.