corner corner The Penelopiad (Canongate Myths)

The Penelopiad (Canongate Myths)
by Margaret Atwood | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingDeepswampwing of Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on 3/30/2015

status (set by kiwiinengland): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Monday, March 30, 2015

Margaret Atwood returns with a shrewd, funny, and insightful retelling of the myth of Odysseus from the point of view of Penelope. Describing her own remarkable vision, the author writes in the foreword, “I’ve chosen to give the telling of the story to Penelope and to the twelve hanged maids. The maids form a chanting and singing Chorus, which focuses on two questions that must pose themselves after any close reading of the Odyssey: What led to the hanging of the maids, and what was Penelope really up to? The story as told in the Odyssey doesn’t hold water: there are too many inconsistencies. I’ve always been haunted by the hanged maids and, in The Penelopiad, so is Penelope herself.” One of the high points of literary fiction in 2005, this critically acclaimed story found a vast audience and is finally available in paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by wingDeepswampwing at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 30, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

I hope you like the Book!

Journal Entry 3 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, April 12, 2015

Part of my wonderful Convention nss. Two lovely books, home made book jacket and purse and a stock of tea bags.
Thank you so much.

Journal Entry 4 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, July 23, 2016

Updating my bookshelf I see I haven't journalled this. I read it last year.

Full review https://heavenali.wordpress.com/2015/05/30/the-penelopiad-margaret-atwood-2005/

Journal Entry 5 by Heaven-Ali at UK Unconvention 2016 - Birmingham in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, September 18, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/23/2016 UTC) at UK Unconvention 2016 - Birmingham in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 6 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 25, 2016

Picked up from the Bookbuffet at the Unconvention. This looks great, thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 16, 2017

Marvellous retelling of the story of Odysseus from the point of view of Penelope, left alone for many years to fend off rapacious suitors. The twelve maids, murdered for their complicity, form a chorus line with a counterpoint to the story. This is a very interesting perspective on the lives of women in that time - Penelope gets thrown in the sea by her father, married to a man not of her choice, abandoned for years in a palace where she is friendless, and pursued by men only interested in her money. The maids have it far worse, with their life of drudgery and rape, and no rights at all. The anthropological point about the possible overthrow of a mother-cult and the significance of the number of maids is very interesting.

Journal Entry 8 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (10/3/2017 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

A wishlist RABCK for Kiwiinengland. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, November 10, 2017

Thank you so much for this wishlist book, and the postcard (it looks a little like Scotland, but maybe any mere I. The U.K.)