corner corner The Black Ice (Harry Bosch)

The Black Ice (Harry Bosch)
by Michael Connelly | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 3/22/2015

status (set by gypsysmom): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, March 22, 2015

Narcotics officer Cal Moore's orders were to look into the city's latest drug killing. Instead, he ends up in a motel room with a fatal bullet wound to the head and a suicide note stuffed in his back pocket. Working the case, LAPD detective Harry Bosch is reminded of the primal police rule he learned long ago: Don't look for the facts, but the glue that holds them together. Soon Harry's making some very dangerous connections, starting with a dead cop and leading to a bloody string of murders that wind from Hollywood Boulevard to the back alleys south of the border. Now this battle-scarred veteran will find himself in the center of a complex and deadly game-one in which he may be the next and likeliest victim.
Reserved for bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB (Rounds 14 & 15)

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (12/1/2015 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way to gypsysmom via bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller/Suspense VBB. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Thanks very much eponine38. I am a big fan of the Harry Bosch series but I missed a number of the early books so I've been trying to fill the holes. I was delighted to see this on the VBB list.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, December 30, 2016

I don't know what it is that draws me to loner male detectives like Harry Bosch and John Rebus. Maybe it is the fact that both of these fictions adore the music that I like (Bosch is very partial to jazz saxophonists while Rebus is more eclectic in his tastes but numbers Van Morrison among his favourites). Or maybe it is the fact that they both strive for justice in an imperfect world. Whatever the case Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series rates almost as high as Ian Rankin's Rebus books for me.

This book is set in the final week of the year (probably 1992) so it was appropriate that I chose to read it in the final week of 2016. Bosch's boss at the Hollywood Homicide Unit wants to improve the year end percentage of closed cases. If they can close one more case then they will have solved fifty percent of the year's murders. So he pulls Bosch off the case of a drug smuggler from Hawaii who was garrotted and asks him to look at another detective's unsolved cases because that detective has taken stress leave. But Bosch is also concerned about the death of a fellow officer even though he is not officially on the case. Calexico Moore was found dead in a motel bathroom on Christmas Day with his head blown off by a shotgun that was found beside him. The Robbery Homicide Division would like to call this a suicide but some things don't seem right. Bosch is soon looking at this case in conjunction with a Juan Doe that was found by Moore just before his death and seeing links to his own case of the strangled drug smuggler. Black Ice, a drug that combines heroin, PCP and coke, which was made in Mexico seems to be the common theme. Can Bosch tie it all together before the end of the year? Of course he can.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Story House in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (2/11/2017 UTC) at Story House in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I thought I saw a new little library in my neighbourhood a while ago but I never got a chance to check it out until today. It doesn't have a LFL number and it is smaller than most LFLs that I have seen, really only enough room for about 5 full-size books and maybe 4 or 5 board books for children. However it is really cute and the sign calls it story house. Whoever maintains it has put a few valentines inside for donors to take. I got one that said "Generosity - what did Albert Camus say?" I didn't know what Albert Camus said so I googled and found this quote "Real generosity to the future lies in giving all to the present." That's a good motto for free librarians and for BookCrossers. This release is for the 2017 52 Towns in 52 Weeks release challenge - Town #2

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.