corner corner White Oleander

by Janet Fitch | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Scrawler on 2/5/2004

status (set by Caracas): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Scrawler on Thursday, February 05, 2004

"A passionate, hypnotic, dangerous novel about a daughter and her mother.

Astrid has been raised by her mother, Ingrid, a beautiful, headstrong poet. Astrid's world revolves around Ingrid; she forgives her eveything. Until Ingrid murders a former lover and is imprisoned for life..."

This is probably the one situation I've ever come across where I can't choose between the book or the movie. I thought they were both fantastic. The book was amazingly written, though, and I couldn't put it down.

Running order for the bookring:

1. LeighBCD
9.adrienne10
10.brewster13
11.Eirinn
back to me in Poland

Off to LeighBCD in England. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 2 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Hello! Wow, first stop on the bookring. This is one of those novels that I have always wanted to read but somehow never got around to acquiring. This is why God invented Reno, Bookcrossing and Bookrings!! I will move this book to the peak of Mount TBR and will journal again when I have finished it. Thanks very much!

Journal Entry 3 by LeighBCD on Friday, March 19, 2004

I really liked this book... I thought Astrid's story was thoroughly absorbing. I wish I could write more but it would be a total plot spoiler for the people who read this book after me! I enjoyed this novel much more than I thought I would... thanks Scrawler for starting the book ray, I probably would never have read this book had you not done so.

This book will be on its way to Plinius very shortly.

Journal Entry 4 by LeighBCD at to Plinius in Rotterdam, Netherlands -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Released on Wednesday, March 24, 2004 at to Plinius in Rotterdam, Netherlands Controlled Releases.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 03, 2004

Thank you, LeighBCD! Apart from the click of the postbox(another bx-book), there's a deep silence here in the Dutch mountains, I'm reading in the shade of Mount TBR. But White Oleander looks véry good and I'll start to read it asap.

Journal Entry 6 by Plinius from Schiedam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 04, 2004

A good honest story about growing up and freeing yourself from your parents. Very well written, a real page-turner. Thanks for sharing, Scrawler, I've enjoyed the story very much!

Journal Entry 7 by zazou from Saint-Prex, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, May 13, 2004

Thanks for the book and card Plinius!
It has arrived safely and with sunny weather!
I look forward to reading it on a nice terrace by the Lake of Geneva...

Journal Entry 8 by zazou from Saint-Prex, Vaud Switzerland on Tuesday, June 01, 2004

After the first few pages, I realized I had seen the movie... but it was really worth reading as a lot of Astrid's thoughts cannot be expressed on screen.
What impact parents have on their childern!

Journal Entry 9 by Caracas from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, June 13, 2004

Thanks zazou, "White Oleander" has arrived safe and sound in Bonn.
And as it`s raining all the time since last week I`ll enjoy reading!!!