corner corner Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions

Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions
by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by waternixie of Everett, Washington USA on 3/12/2015

status (set by BooksandMusic): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by waternixie from Everett, Washington USA on Thursday, March 12, 2015

More from the 3 bags of books given me by a tenant.

When I found out that Neil Gaiman was one of the authors who came out in favor of the Occupy protests a few years ago, I have to admit this dampened any desire I had to read him.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015

I chose this book from the Wrap-It-Up Bookbox based on its first sentence: "They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate--"

I will either read and release it or make it available to continue along its journey.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 04, 2016

I know that Gaiman is an extremely popular author, but somehow I always seem to be disappointed in his work. I found most of the stories and poems in this collection to be just okay. While reading several, I found myself flipping forward to see how long they were. Never a good sign.

There were a few pieces that I enjoyed: "Chivalry," "The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories," "Queen of Knives," and "One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock." But overall this was a "meh" read for me.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 24, 2017

Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Description from Amazon:

"In Neil Gaiman's richly imagined fiction, anything is possible. And the proof is in the telling in this extraordinary collection of short stories. Discover within these pages miraculous inventions and curious characters: an elderly widow who finds the Holy Grail tucked beneath an old fur coat in a thrift store, a terrified boy who barters for his life with a mean-spirited troll living beneath a bridge by the railroad tracks, a young couple who receives a wedding gift that gradually reveals a chilling alternative history of their marriage. Smoke and Mirrors will dazzle your senses, touch your heart -- and haunt your dreams."

Journal Entry 5 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Removing from the General Literature VBB and making available.

Journal Entry 6 by wingReallyBookishwing at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 15, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (2/15/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to book_drunkard as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingbook_drunkardwing at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018

What a wonderful surprise that I received in the mail today.
Thank you, very much, for tagging me!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbook_drunkardwing at Osgood, Indiana USA on Monday, September 17, 2018

I enjoyed a couple of the stories in this book but most of them were a little too far out for my taste.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbook_drunkardwing at Happy Halloween!, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (9/17/2018 UTC) at Happy Halloween!, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A book from your wishlist.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, September 30, 2018

Received, thank you very much!