corner corner Jane and Prudence

Jane and Prudence
by Barbara Pym | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 3/2/2015

status (set by eponine38): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 02, 2015

This is an insightful and amusing read about two people who have remained friends since their Oxford days, a tutor (Jane) and her student (Prudence). Jane is married to a vicar and they've just moved to a new vicarage in a small village full of interesting people who are not all that eager to accept the new vicar and his family. Prudence is still single, living and working in London. Though she has no lack of suitors, no one has proven to be The One, and Jane is always trying to remedy that.

Wonderful cast of characters, from the annoying to the flaky. I laughed out loud several times and there are a couple sentences that I still chuckle over. Pym has a talent of taking you by surprise with a witty line when you least expect it. I really enjoyed this and heartily recommend it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 05, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/5/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Included in a box sent to the convention.

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!