corner corner Mistletoe and Murder

Mistletoe and Murder
by Robin Stevens | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingBookworm-ladywing of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 12/5/2016

status (set by Flutterbies9): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, December 05, 2016

"Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are spending the Christmas hols in snowy Cambridge. Hazel has high hopes of its beautiful libraries and inviting tea-rooms... but there is danger lurking in the dark stairwells of Maudlin College."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, December 09, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (12/9/2016 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent to the decoy in this Sweeps... (I should know, I was the lucky winner!)
I hope you'll enjoy the Xmassy parcel I have put together for you.
And congrats!! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 19, 2016

What a lovely surprise....I'm a decoy! ;o)

This popped through my letterbox along with a lovely Christmas card, a choccy lolly (saving that for when I curl up watching a Christmas rom-com) , some pretty seasonal napkins & a tree ornament - thank you so much!

As I'm not getting along with my current read, I think I'll be starting this tonight, great timing Bookworm-lady....have a wonderful Christmas x

Journal Entry 4 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A fun & entertaining read indeed! As I felt it had a sort of Flavia de Luce goes to Mallory Towers vibe about it, I wasn't wholly surprised to find out that it was in fact a children's book. But don't be put off by that, this delightful tale should appeal to cosy mystery lovers of any age. The characters are well rounded & credible enough - Daisy was a little irritating & high-handed at times but that only went to make her more believable - & I liked the little extras such as the "handwritten" notes & maps.

Thanks for introducing me to this series Bookworm-lady, I'll certainly be happy to read more of them :o)

Now reserved for the CHRISTMAS IN JULY Challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by wingPlum-crazywing at Christmas All Year Round! (Gift) Wrap-it-up Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 01, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/1/2017 UTC) at Christmas All Year Round! (Gift) Wrap-it-up Bookbox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Added to my Christmas All Year Round! (Gift) Wrap-it-up bookbox.

Released as part of the Challenge (#1)

Journal Entry 6 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, July 31, 2017

Taken from the Christmas All Year Round Wrap-It-Up Bookbox. As my TBR pile is massive it may take me a while to get to this.

Journal Entry 7 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, December 28, 2017

A fun Christmas read, I will be on the lookout for more in this series.

Journal Entry 8 by wingyorkshire-lasswing at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (3/15/2018 UTC) at Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom

This is going into the Cosy Mystery Book Box.

Journal Entry 9 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018

YIP my second ever bookbox and hurrah I’ve picked this festive offering to read! An extra super treat for me as Christmas 2017 was a blend of hospital visits & bus journeys, laundry sorting, tension & broken sleep.

By chance I’d never heard of this author until Sat when I stumbled upon Murder Most Unladylike the first in this series. Wanting another shot at that wonderful festive feeling I’m going for MISTLETOE AND MURDER first!

ADDED: do want to lavish praise on the fabulous book cover illustrations for the series, praise goes to ninataradesign.com

Journal Entry 10 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 19, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (3/20/2018 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I particularly appreciated the addition of the characters with different cultural backgrounds other than English and, in this case Chinese and Indian, the ‘keeping it real’ references to racism. Handled with a deft touch it did add a 21th Century sensibility but that it felt plausible makes its inclusion valuable.

The historical setting was my next favourite element here though, ever nit-picky, I found I was jipping about the presence of a Chocolate Orange till I read in the authors notes of its creation by 1935! Then I settled. Before that I could have sworn it arrived on the confectionary scene in the 60s so it’s nice to know better.

Found I didn’t engage with the main characters as much as I would have preferred though I must admit to appreciating the interplay between Daisy with her attitude of high-handiness and Hazel with her generous and fond tolerance of the former. Nice to have had the chance to give this a go though, it’s distinctive and I can see why it’s popular! Yet again I want to mention praise for the super cover illustrations, the useful maps, fun ‘notebook pages’ and lovely chapter headings, fine work Nina Tara!

MISTLETOE AND MURDER (Wells & Wong 5) by ROBIN STEVENS (2016) | ISBN: 9780141369723 (UK PB) | Publisher: Puffin
---------------------

Popped back into the Cosy Mysteries Bookbox with thanks to those bookcrosser’s that went before me and ensured Mistletoe and Murder was added to this Bookbox.

Journal Entry 11 by Flutterbies9 at Meare, Somerset United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Received in the Cosy mystery book box when it arrived home with me.