corner corner The Worst Day of My Life, So Far

The Worst Day of My Life, So Far
by M. A. Harper | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 2/9/2015

status (set by eraflewr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, February 09, 2015

trade-size paperback.

from the back cover:
Welcome to Auletta, Louisiana, where the typical bumper sticker reads: God, Guns, and Guts Made This Country Great. Unfortunately for Jeanne Roth, a middle-aged woman with no taste for backwater towns, Auletta becomes her new home when she makes good on a promise to her dying father to care for her mother. When Jeanne learns that her mama has Alzheimer's, she must confront a past bursting with memories of her mama, a once vibrant femme fatale. As she watches mama's grace and charm slowly slip away, Jeanne is forced to reflect on her own goals and find a new hero to look up to. And suddenly Jeanne, an expert at analyzing others while neglecting her own troubles, is squaring off directly with the one person she has tried to avoid: herself.

A decent enough read, though if I hadn't been confined to bed and bored to tears, I would have set this aside unfinished.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Little Free Library - #22562 Mills St in Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (6/17/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library - #22562 Mills St in Raleigh, North Carolina USA

You have found a traveling book. You may leave a journal entry (anonymously, if you wish) to let me know that you have found this book. Check back in later to let us know what you thought of the book and if you plan on passing it on or 'releasing it back into the wild'.

Journal Entry 3 by eraflewr at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I am the steward of the Little Free Library on Mills Street and this book caught my eye. I seemed to like it more than you did although I did skim some at the end. I thought her description of caring for a person with Alzheimer's disease was pretty accurate. She certainly had some other issues as well. I also thought there was WAY too much foreshadowing of the big crisis. Foreshadowing should HINT at what is to come. If the reader wasn't expecting it, she wasn't paying any attention. I think I would highly recommend the first two-thirds of the book and I'm just sorry the end didn't live up to it. I will put it back in the LFL and see what the next person has to say. PS: Stop and say hello sometime.