corner corner The Madonna of Las Vegas: A Novel

The Madonna of Las Vegas: A Novel
by Gregory Blake Smith | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 1/22/2015

status (set by melydia): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, January 22, 2015

This book was one in a donation of 45 books given on 1/2/15 to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by a Rockville resident who is soon moving out of town.

Thank you so much for this book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Thursday, March 17, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/18/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

This book is being released for BookCrossing's 2016 Four Elements Challenge hosted by Firegirl.

This book has the word LAKE in the author's name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/21/2016 UTC) at Gaithersburg City Hall Concert Pavilion and Grounds in Gaithersburg, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book at the Gaithersburg Book Festival.

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing...where we make the whole world our library!

Please make a journal entry so we know this book was found. You may now join BookCrossing (free!) to follow this book's travels. It's so much fun. Your information will not be shared or sold. As you join, consider listing SqueakyChu as your referring person.

This book is now yours to keep or share with someone else. Take your time to read this book. Afterward, make a journal entry to record your thoughts about it. If you release it, kindly make a release note to let me know where it is traveling. Thank you so much.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 5 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, November 28, 2016

I just came across this one and don't seem to have ever journaled it. Ooops. It must have been in the stack of books I took home from the ones that remained at the end of the Gaithersburg book festival.

Journal Entry 6 by authorauthor at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 01, 2016

I just finished reading this one, and am still trying to decide how much I liked it, so I may have to go back and change my rating after I've had a few days to process it.

This book is a strange one. The protagonist, Cosmo Dust (yes, really) is an artist who lives in Las Vegas, where nothing is what it seems. Cosmo's job is to paint a re-creation of the Sistine Chapel ceiling above the gaming tables at a casino on the Strip. He's still grieving his wife after her death from eating a poisoned Easter egg, the new millennium begins in a few days, and now he gets caught up in a complex plot involving both the Jewish and the Italian mafias. Two women in Cleopatra wigs -- a cocktail waitress and the adopted daughter of a mafia kingpin -- show up in his hotel room. When one is shot in the head, Cosmo becomes a murder suspect. With a baby. And a woman who may or may not be the daughter of an actual Pope.

This book is part noir mystery novel, part commentary on the artificiality of modern life, part metaphysical musing, and all crazy. At first I found it off-putting. But at some point I found myself caught up in the plot and wanting to know what was going to happen.

Journal Entry 7 by authorauthor at BC-DC Meetup in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Monday, December 05, 2016

Released 10 mos ago (12/11/2016 UTC) at BC-DC Meetup in -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA

To give away at the local BookCrossing holiday party 2016.

********************************

Welcome to BookCrossing!

If you pass it on to someone or leave it "in the wild" for someone else to find, please make another journal entry or release notes here to explain that it's traveling to find another home.

You can remain anonymous on the website or join BookCrossing. Joining is free, safe, and spam-free and you'll get an e-mail every time a new person finds this book and logs in on the site to say so. You'll be able to watch it move around and find out where it's been and what other readers thought of it.

I hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 11, 2016

Won this in the first lines game at the BCinDC holiday party. Looks....interesting. Might as well give it a try.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Friday, June 09, 2017

I quit this one twenty pages before the end. The main character, Cosmo Dust, makes a living recreating famous works of art for a casino in Las Vegas following the death of his wife. He somehow gets mixed up with the daughter of the Pope of Las Vegas (whatever that means), and some gangsters who really would like to be movie-stereotype gangsters think he's committed murder, and there's a baby that keeps showing up and disappearing, and eventually the characters change identities or maybe not, and possibly the Messiah has returned, and the whole thing gets so painfully post-modern that I simply stopped caring. I knew there was no way the story would end in any logical or satisfying way, so I gave up.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmelydiawing at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 25, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (6/25/2017 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Taking to today's BCinDC meetup. If no one claims it, it'll go on the OBCZ shelf.

Welcome to BookCrossing!