corner corner Station Eleven

Station Eleven
by Emily St John Mandel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingmathgirl40wing of Waterloo, Ontario Canada on 1/14/2015

status (set by Billbooks): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingmathgirl40wing from Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Welcome to BookCrossing! This is a site for catching and releasing books for those who want to share the joy of reading. If you find this book, please leave a journal entry to let previous readers know how and where you found the book. Feel free to do this anonymously if you wish. You are welcome to keep the book, but I encourage you to pass it on and let it continue its journey.

Publisher's description:

"One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage during a production of King Lear. Hours later, the world as we know it begins to dissolve. Moving back and forth in time—from the actor's early days as a film star to fifteen years in the future, when a theater troupe known as The Travelling Symphony roams the wasteland of what remains—this suspenseful, elegiac, spellbinding novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the Traveling Symphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet. Sometimes terrifying, sometimes tender, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it."

Journal Entry 2 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

This book is reserved for a bookring. Details are in this forum post:

Shipping order:
mathgirl40 (Canada)
sjt105 (Canada)
Vekiki (UK, ship to Europe)
HappyHarryBabe (UK, ship int'l)
penelopewanders (Switzerland, ship to Europe)
bluezwuzl (Germany, ship int'l)
catsalive (Australia, ship int'l)
Billbooks (Australia, ship int'l)
Edwardstreet (New Zealand, ship New Zealand or Australia)
joan13 (US)
hyphen8 (US, ship to US)
JudySlump612 (US, ship int'l)
Blue_berry (UK, ship to Europe)
florence71 (France, ship to Europe)
Bookworm-lady (Spain, ship int'l)
sharlan (Sweden, ship int'l)
BaiLong (China, ship int'l)

Journal Entry 3 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

This was a surprising book, in a very good way. First and foremost, it is a post-apocalyptic novel that avoids cliches and seems entirely plausible. This story of a travelling orchestra and theatre troupe trying to preserve the best of our culture after civilization collapses as a result of a deadly virus seems refreshingly different. Woven into the story are so many things that I love (and this might have influenced me in giving it a higher rating that it truly deserves): the city of Toronto, Shakespeare, orchestras, graphic novels, and even Star Trek. Mandel’s writing is skillful and she packs much to think about in a relatively short novel. This is among my favourite books of the past 12 months and one that I am sure I will want to reread again one day.

Journal Entry 4 by sjt105 at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 24, 2015

A wonderful book. I found this book to be more about appreciating life than about the post apocalyptic world - a refreshing take on the theme.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The book is back in my hands.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (1/27/2015 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

This book is now on its way to Vekiki!

Journal Entry 7 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I'm really glad this is hear - I was starting to worry about it! But, safe and sound. I'm really looking forward to this, thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 8 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 04, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (4/4/2015 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

I really enjoyed this - a simple sorry, but really well told, nice pacing throughout, and some lovely ideas. This felt like a very visual experience, which tells you a lot about the writers ability to put a reader into the scene

On it's way to the next reader

Journal Entry 9 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 07, 2015

It arrived today.. I shall get on to it soon-ish! :)

Journal Entry 10 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 09, 2015

I didn't like this book at all. It started off slow and carried on being slow. The characters were hard to connect with and even harder to like. I only liked one of them, Miranda, the rest were just inffuriating. This somewhat boring book was ruined even further by the constant referring to Shakespeare. Shakespeare's dead, it's about time we forgot about him.

Sorry for holding onto it for so long. I have the next person's address and shall be posting it tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by HappyHarryBabe at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (6/10/2015 UTC) at Callington, Cornwall United Kingdom

Sent on to penelopewanders in Switzerland.

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, June 17, 2015

This ring has now arrived safely in the Swiss Alps. Thanks for sending, and thanks for making this available. I'll try to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 13 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, June 28, 2015

Here as a ring. I wasn't sure what I'd think of this - in fact I signed up for it and then later saw it on the forum and decided not to sign up (forgetting that I already had). Very glad it found its way to me.
I found it very well written, and the length of time it took me to get through it is only indicative of how busy the end of school year can be (and I confess I read something else in the middle), and in no way indicative of my interest in the book.
The whole premise was intriguing, and although the various sections with different characters are a bit scattered, it's still a very good read. I've written for the next address which will hopefully arrive soon.

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Thursday, July 16, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (7/16/2015 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

Given the postal strike in Germany and the fact that I knew I'd be travelling to France where the book fee still exists, the next in line and I agreed to wait and send this on from here. This has now been done, and I gather the postal strike has been resolved. Hopefully this will be able to avoid the backwash of accummulated parcels and arrive swiftly. Thank you for making the book available.

Journal Entry 15 by bluezwuzl at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Monday, July 20, 2015

...and the book arrived safely on Saturday! Thanks for sending it, I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 16 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, December 24, 2015

Thanks, bluezwuzl. It arrived on Christmas Eve.

Journal Entry 17 by wingcatsalivewing at Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 21, 2016

I enjoyed the story, it's not as far-fetched as some post-apocalypta. I'm not sure of the Dr. Eleven comics, they seemed irrelevant on the face of things, but I suppose they do form a connection of sorts between Miranda, Arthur, Clark, Kirsten & Tyler. I like the idea of the travelling symphony, & what else would travelling players play but Shakespeare - accessible & designed to be easily staged. As far as the Prophet goes, I imagine he would be one among many across the post-flu world - they'd pop up wherever there was a population, humans just can't seem to help themselves wanting there to be more than life itself.

It was a bit rambling & the ending left me dissatisfied, despite the note of hope, but well-written & more thoughtful than many of this genre.

Thanks for including me mathgirl40. I'll send this off to Billbooks shortly.

Journal Entry 18 by wingcatsalivewing at Australia, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 22, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (1/22/2016 UTC) at Australia, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent on to the next reader, Billbooks.

Journal Entry 19 by Billbooks at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Friday, January 29, 2016

Book has safely arrived in Melbourne

Journal Entry 20 by Billbooks at Melbourne Central Little Library in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/7/2016 UTC) at Melbourne Central Little Library in Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia

Being released as part of great downsizing cull of 2016