corner corner On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides
by Tim Powers | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by redfox5 of Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on 12/30/2014

status (set by Andrea99): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by redfox5 from Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A Christmas present from my sister Hayley :) Interesting to see how much of this book the film has taken from.

Journal Entry 2 by redfox5 at Sandhurst, Berkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 23, 2016

I challenge anyone to read this book without getting the theme tune to Pirates Of The Caribbean stuck in their head! This is the book that inspired the last film, however apart from Blackbeard and the Fountain Of Youth everything else is different.

This started off really well, couldn't put it down. John's is aboard a ship when it's taken by pirates, given the choice, join us or die. John becomes a pirate and changes his name to Jack Shandy. Everyone returns to the pirates island and everything is building up to this adventure we are taking with Blackbeard to the Fountain of Youth.

Then we finally get to the Fountain of Youth and it feels like a massive anti climax. Blackbeard rids himself of the ghosts he was infested with, takes the water and the other guys spill some blood. After this the book starts to flounder and never really recovers. The rest isn't bad but it's nothing compared to the first 200 or so pages.

Journal Entry 3 by redfox5 at Pirate Sweepstake , Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (10/26/2016 UTC) at Pirate Sweepstake , Sweepstake Winner -- Controlled Releases

Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates Life For Me!

Journal Entry 4 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 28, 2016

As this is my second pirate themed book, I am guessing that I am the winner of the sweepstake. Thanks you for an interesting looking book and the unusual pirate chocolate. I have never heard of that brand but it is delicious.

Journal Entry 5 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, November 06, 2016

Not your usual pirate story, this one has a twist to it. I found it exciting at first and enjoyed most of it but I felt the ending let it down.

Journal Entry 6 by theicemaiden at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 05, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (2/7/2017 UTC) at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom

I had a book all ready for the winner of the pirate themed sweepstake, Friday's Child. My reasoning was that Robinson Crusoe had a friend called Friday. This morning I realised that Mr Crusoe wasn't a pirate but was just marooned on an island.
So I had to copy my son and niece and come to my mum's for one of her books.
Not only do we steal her books, but we also steal her jiffy bags and sellotape. Thank goodness for mums.

Journal Entry 7 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, February 09, 2017

Received today with some seriously funky piratey booklabels & napkins!! Love it! Thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, October 05, 2017

Exciting swashbuckling story of Blackbeard, pirate-ing and voodoo magic across the Caribbean islands.....!! Found the second half slightly more difficult to read through but still, an entertaining story!

Journal Entry 9 by Andrea99 at Brighton Railway Station in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, November 19, 2017

Released 4 wks ago (11/19/2017 UTC) at Brighton Railway Station in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

Left on the piano on the main concourse