corner corner The Secret River

The Secret River
by Kate Grenville | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingvalpetewing of Walnut Creek, California USA on 12/19/2014

status (set by BooksandMusic): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Friday, December 19, 2014

A wonderful book portraying an eloquent pioneer story...pitting natives against European settlers.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Friday, January 02, 2015

Received this wishlist book in the mail today. Thanks! I remember putting this on my wishlist after reading a good review of it a few years ago. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Excellent novel about early colonial Australia. This is the story of William Thornhill who was sentenced to hang in London for a theft of some wood but is instead deported to the penal colony in Australia along with his wife, Sal, and their young son. William is soon able to get his sentence commuted and then decides to settle on the "Secret River" where he wants to make a home for his family even though Sal is set on returning to London after 5 years. But William finds out that it is not that easy to make a settlement there where he either must peacefully coexist with the native aborigines or find a way to forcibly remove them. Some of the other settlers there are more inclined to kill the blacks rather than try to make friends with them. This leads to an ultimate bloody conflict that is very reminiscent of the American West and the brutality that was waged against the Native Americans in the 1800's. The book contains many instances of the atrocities committed against the natives including enslavery, rape, and murder. In the end, Thornhill is not sure it was worth the cost of his success...

This was a very heartrending and powerful story that was eloquently written by Grenvillle. It was also a good history lesson. Being from the U.S., I was somewhat unfamiliar with Australia's history and some of the language used. I had to look up several words including damper, an Australian soda bread, and humpy, a small shelter like a lean-to used by the aborigines. I found out that this is also the first in a trilogy so I will be looking for the subsequent two novels. High recommendation for this one!

Journal Entry 4 by wingperryfranwing at booklady331's ABC VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 13, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (8/14/2017 UTC) at booklady331's ABC VBB, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This one is off to booklady331...a selection from her ABC VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, August 21, 2017

The book arrived today. Thank you for sharing with me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 22, 2018

This is a historical novel about an early 19th-century Englishman transported to Australia for theft. The story explores what might have happened when Europeans colonized land already inhabited by Aboriginal people.

I made myself finish "The Secret River" by Kate Grenville. I never really got into this book. It felt like Ms Grenville was trying so hard to make the story come to life but just could not pull it off. I could never develop any empathy or sympathy for any of the characters.

I will be mailing this as a surprise RABCK to another BCer who has this book on her wish list.

Journal Entry 7 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (6/1/2018 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! off to Booksandmusic as a wish list surprise For the "A-less" release challenge 2018

Journal Entry 8 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Thank you very much for this great surprise! It went to my old address which is the reason for the delay.