corner corner We Were Liars

We Were Liars
by E. Lockhart | Audiobooks
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 11/21/2014

status (set by Aberpeter): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, November 21, 2014

"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."

Acquired via PaperBackSwap. (Unabridged on 5 CDs; read by Ariadne Meyers)

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Saturday, December 20, 2014

I think the title of this book is somewhat misleading, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's a well-written, part mysterious, part magical story that pulls the reader in from start to finish. Cady Sinclair is a teenager growing up in a very well-off family. She spends her summers on "the island" (off Martha's Vineyard) with her two cousins & a friend. The four of them are relatively inseparable and the summers take on a sort of magical and enchanted quality that Cady lives for every year. But one year is different. An accident occurs, and Cady is left with severe headaches & selective memory loss. She desperately wants to know the details of the accident, but all she is able to get from her family are snippets of the truth. Gradually, as the story unfolds, the reader is able to put together the true nature of what really happened.

This novel seems to be known for the "twist" at the end. I knew that going in, so I was ready, but it's not a twist in the traditional sense. I enjoyed the way the plot was constructed, although I can't say that it was completely fulfilling for me. While I enjoyed the plot for the most part, it was the beautiful writing that really drew me into this book, and it spoke to me. It's a book that you will want to read again, and it will probably read differently, but just as magically, the second time around.

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, October 23, 2015

Sending off to booklady331, who requested it via audio VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, October 29, 2015

This arrived yesterday. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, December 11, 2015

Took me a little to get into the book, but when I did I found it fairly interesting and sad. I will put it back into one of the audio bookboxes

Journal Entry 6 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/4/2016 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Chosen from my CD only VBB by dabercro. Glad the book found a new listener.

Journal Entry 7 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Saturday, February 20, 2016

Arrived in the mail today. Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 8 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Wednesday, June 29, 2016

I enjoyed listening to this book. I didn't read the previous journal entries before listening to this book so I wasn't aware of the twist at the end. I was surprised by the twist and it made me rethink the story.

Journal Entry 9 by dabercro at another bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, July 16, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/17/2016 UTC) at another bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Passing on to Aberpeter in WA when I see her this weekend.

Journal Entry 10 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, July 18, 2016

thanks dabercro