corner corner A Question of Upbringing

A Question of Upbringing
by Anthony Powell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingkirjakkowing of Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 11/16/2014

status (set by AnonymousFinder): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingkirjakkowing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, November 16, 2014

Might have bought this, can't remember how the book ended up in the pile on top of my non-functional telly (it functions as a bookshelf), but I'm very happy I've found this wishlist book for tabby-cat-owner's birthday. If luck has anything to do with it, it may even arrive in time.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkirjakkowing at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (11/18/2014 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Happy Birthday!

Journal Entry 3 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, December 06, 2014

I received this book in the mail from kirjakko of Helsinki, Finland as a birthday gift.

Thank you so much for this book, kirjakko. It came a few days late, but it was a pleasant surprise. It's the first one in the series, "A Dance to the Music of Time" so I shall start reading it right away. Thank you also for the cute doggie post card.

Journal Entry 4 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Monday, February 22, 2016

This book was published in 1951 but the events of the book take place in the early 1920s. The narrator of this book is a young schoolboy in public school (which in England is private school, go figure). As I read this book, my overwhelming impression was how ridiculous and pointless is the life of an upper class boy on the verge of manhood specifically during this time period. The narrator is aware of this but relates events as truthfully as possible from his point-of-view and he is not unkind. I guess people don't have much choice what sort of life fate plops them down into. The book starts with the friendship of three young men who basically are bored to death with their public school life, The education part of their life seems very minimal. At the end of the book, the narrator is at Oxford. The lives of these three young men part ways. It is somewhat bittersweet and something we can all relate to.

Journal Entry 5 by tabby-cat-owner at Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/8/2016 UTC) at Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

This book has been sent off in the ABC bookring--Books starting with the letter Q. The bookring is organized by Iwillrejoice.

Journal Entry 6 by winginnaewing at Aurora, Colorado USA on Sunday, November 13, 2016

Arrived in the Q book ring. I am choosing it, but will likely just release.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at -- Geocaches, New York USA on Thursday, April 06, 2017

Found at Ellis island