corner corner The Postmistress

The Postmistress
by Sarah Blake | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingMrsPeelwing of Therwil, Baselland Switzerland on 11/2/2014

status (set by lils74): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingMrsPeelwing from Therwil, Baselland Switzerland on Sunday, November 02, 2014

I found this in an apartment we rented on holiday in Florence, Italy. Don't you love finding a book you've been wanting to read just sitting there waiting for you? The only way I would have been more pleased is if it had already been registered and traveling! I tried to finish it while I was there, but there was just too much to do and see and eat in Florence, I didn't have time. Instead, I ended up taking it with me and leaving Wall-to Wall Dead in its place.

--Registered in Basel-Land, Switzerland--

Journal Entry 2 by wingMrsPeelwing at Therwil, Baselland Switzerland on Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I really liked the book. If it weren't just a bit over the top in a few spots it would be a ten.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it , putting it on the available shelf for now.

Journal Entry 3 by wingMrsPeelwing at A Wishlist RABCK, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 06, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/6/2015 UTC) at A Wishlist RABCK, Mailed to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Most of my books are passed along to friends and family who enjoy them, but rarely write a journal entry. I was in the mood to send one traveling to another Bookcrosser who definitely would appreciate it and journal it. I checked the wishlist and saw that lils74 in Nepal wanted it. Perfect! I'm off to the post office right now. Safe travels Postmistress!

Journal Entry 4 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Saturday, February 28, 2015

This book arrived safely and was waiting for me yesterday in my post box when I went the the post office. Thank you so much for sending it to me, MrsPeel, it was really neat to hear that you found it in Florence. I lived in Italy for some years when I was a child and we often went to Florence (as I recall it was the one of the few places my mom had found an English language bookstore) and I have good memories there. Thanks again and I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Sunday, January 17, 2016

This books is based on a really interesting premise, and is a sweet, but sad read. I enjoyed the historical background and accuracy. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "a bit over the top in a few spots" MrsPeel, but I felt that while generally well written, the author was trying too hard in a few places with her writing, and it showed. Also, did she have to kill off so many - particularly the last (I'll avoid the name for spoilers) that I really found unnecessary and which did not seem to advance the story in any way other than causing their SO to be in pain (also). A good read, though, particularly if you're interested in knowing more about the activities some women got up to in WW2 that are not as widely known.

Journal Entry 6 by lils74 at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal on Sunday, October 16, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (10/16/2016 UTC) at Kathmandu, Bagmati Nepal

Today I brought some books to a young friend of mine who works at the coolest little wine bar in Kathmandu, Vino Bistro. She loves reading, and I thought this book might be of interest. Happy travels, little book!

Keep Them Moving 2016 Release # 9