corner corner Half of a Yellow Sun

Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | e-Books
Registered by viscum of Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on 8/25/2015

status (set by Mary-T): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by viscum from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, August 25, 2015

With effortless grace, celebrated author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie illuminates a seminal moment in modern African history: Biafra's impassioned struggle to establish an independent republic in southeastern Nigeria during the late 1960s. We experience this tumultuous decade alongside five unforgettable characters: Ugwu, a thirteen-year-old houseboy who works for Odenigbo, a university professor full of revolutionary zeal; Olanna, the professor’s beautiful young mistress who has abandoned her life in Lagos for a dusty town and her lover’s charm; and Richard, a shy young Englishman infatuated with Olanna’s willful twin sister Kainene. Half of a Yellow Sun is a tremendously evocative novel of the promise, hope, and disappointment of the Biafran war.

Journal Entry 2 by viscum at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/26/2015 UTC) at STF Göteborg City Hotell och vandrarhem in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

Released at BC Fika

Journal Entry 3 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Wednesday, August 26, 2015

This book ended up with me, I think it sounds interesting!

Journal Entry 4 by FraukeRo at Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, March 07, 2016

It took me quite long to read this book. The language, culture and history that make up the background of the story were just too unfamiliar to me. I am surprised and sad once more about how little I know of history outside Germany and Europe. Nevertheless, I am very glad that I read this story, the wonderful characters did bring me much closer to a part of history that I never heard of before. It was intriguing but also heart-breaking to follow the stories of Olanna, Ugwu, Richard and the many others who believed in Biafra, a state that I had never heard of before, that only existed for a few years, and yet had an impact on many lives.

Journal Entry 5 by FraukeRo at BookBox in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, March 26, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (3/26/2016 UTC) at BookBox in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Niedersachsen Germany

Dieses Buch reist in der Länderbox mit (Nigeria, Afrika). Viel Spaß beim Lesen!

Travelling in the „country box“ – enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by book-a-billy at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Aus efells Länderbox genommen.
"hat mir eine gute Lesezeit beschert"klingt bei diesem traurigen Thema etwas komisch, aber 7 - 8 Sterne will ich dem Buch geben.

This novel has given me an interesting insight into Nigeria's history - as it is set in the time before and during the civil war. I am always shocked by the atrocities people commit against other people (especially at times of war).

Journal Entry 7 by sofieamundsen at Penzberg, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

It is always very interesting to read books by authors from and set in countries immigrants to Germany come from. In this book you learn a lot about the history of Nigeria and some of the reasons for existing problems.

Journal Entry 8 by sofieamundsen at Penzberg, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (10/31/2017 UTC) at Penzberg, Bayern Germany

This book goes back to book-a-billy who needs it for a game.

Journal Entry 9 by Mary-T at Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, December 07, 2017

Oh - what a nice surprise! :o)
A book from my wishlist, christmas chocolate and chai!
Thanks a lot!
This evening I will enjoy a cup of chai, the chocolate and a good book.

For this one - I'm really looking forward to reading it, since I had the chance to read it in German translation before and have been impressed! I will love to read the original now. Thanks!