corner corner New Neighbours

New Neighbours
by J. Edward Brown | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingkiwiinenglandwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 1/20/2015

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The common theme of this collection is racial interaction - sometimes amusing, often not - between Polynesians and Europeans.

The stories are set in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands and throughout the characters unconsciously reveal a legacy of misunderstanding and prejudices that ably demonstrates that we are still 'new neighbours'.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (1/25/2015 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

this is a book ray, the order of participants will be out below
Edwardstreet (NZ) - ship anywhere
Book-a-neer (OZ) - pref Oz/NZ shipping.
Billbooks (Oz) will post anywhere
Andrasthe (EU) - will post anywhere.
GronnLivsstil ( EU) - will post anywhere
CathrineB (EU) - will post anywhere
Book-a-billy (EU) - EU posting <------------ presently here
babelfisk (EU) - will post anywhere
Aberpeter (USA) - pref USA/Canada

Journal Entry 3 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Different cover, look forward to reading as part of the 666 challenge, thanks Kiwi.

Journal Entry 4 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A dated small book of stories set in the Pacific, which was read for the 666 challenge. They are stories of cultures colliding gently.

Journal Entry 5 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, February 21, 2015

Book has now arrived. Thank you.

Journal Entry 6 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Interesting snippets of life in the islands.

Journal Entry 7 by book-a-neer at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (3/14/2015 UTC) at Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Handed over to Billbooks.

Journal Entry 8 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 11, 2015

Oops yes do have it reading now

Journal Entry 9 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Sunday, May 24, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (5/24/2015 UTC) at Malvern East, Victoria Australia

An interesting read only takes a short time. This book is all ready well travelled as it went to Thailand and back with me. Ten days by the pool is a great way to catch up on your bookcrossing backlog. Now off to Austria

Journal Entry 10 by wingAndrasthewing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Tuesday, June 02, 2015

got it

update:
These stories are representing different variants of the common culture class at different periods around the independence from the British. The short bits offered tiny glimpses into the different forms of confrontation, adaptation and misunderstanding that must have occured every day. An enjoyable selection, if a bit superficial at times.

Thanks for including me :)

Journal Entry 11 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, July 18, 2015

Thanks a lot, got it in the mail today. I just need to finish another ring/ray first, before starting on this one.

Journal Entry 12 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Thursday, July 30, 2015

I've finally read this one. I felt some of the short stories were better than others, but it was in general a good read.

Btw, does CatherineB exist, because when I try to search for that member, I don't find anyone?

Journal Entry 13 by GronnLivsstil at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, August 16, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (8/17/2015 UTC) at Bryne, Rogaland fylke Norway

Will be sent tomorrow to the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Monday, August 24, 2015

I've received the book! This book will go with me to Aberdeen and the North Sea. Although it's nice reading weather today (rain and thunder), I don't think I'll manage to finish reading the book before I'm leaving.

Journal Entry 15 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, September 18, 2015

Some interesting stories, some better than others.

Journal Entry 16 by CathrineB at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (9/23/2015 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Forwarded to book-a-billy

Journal Entry 17 by book-a-billy at -- Irgendwo in Bayern, Bayern Germany on Thursday, October 01, 2015

The book arrived here today - thank you very much! - and will soon be read.

Journal Entry 18 by book-a-billy at -- Irgendwo in Bayern, Bayern Germany on Saturday, October 03, 2015

As others before me, I liked some stories better than others. My favourite two stories were "New borrower" and "Moby Dick", because they revealed to me what problems and constraints indigeneous people can experience when their country becomes independent after years of having been ruled by whites. That was a point I didnt' know much about before.

Journal Entry 19 by book-a-billy at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Monday, October 05, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/5/2015 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

This book now travels to Sweden to the next participant of the ring. Thank you, dear book, that you were here - I had a good time with you - have a nice and safe journey.

Journal Entry 20 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, October 12, 2015

The book just arrived. Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 21 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Friday, October 16, 2015

An interesting book! I like the stories a lot.

Journal Entry 22 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Saturday, October 24, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/24/2015 UTC) at Jönköping, Småland Sweden

The book is now on its way to Aberpeter.

Journal Entry 23 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Wednesday, November 04, 2015

the book is here. I'll be starting it next.

Journal Entry 24 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, November 15, 2015

New Neighbors is short stories set in New Zealand and the surrounding islands of misperceptions people have of those different from them. Even though the book is set in the Pacific, the overriding theme of each short story is relevant no matter where you live in the work.

Journal Entry 25 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Saturday, January 09, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (1/9/2016 UTC) at Renton, Washington USA

giving to dabercro

Journal Entry 26 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Thanks, Aberpeter.

Journal Entry 27 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016

A quick read. I don't now that I can add anything different than what has already been journaled by previous readers. This is a well-travelled book.

Journal Entry 28 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Reserved for the bookstogive General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 29 by dabercro at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/7/2016 UTC) at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Chosen from the General Literature VBB. Sending to ReallyBookish in PA.

Journal Entry 30 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, November 14, 2016

Received today from dabercro. Thank you so much!

Journal Entry 31 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2018

A brief and fairly simple short story collection -- interesting, for the most part. My favorite stories were "New Neighbours," "The Home-coming," and "A New Borrower." Worth reading, I think!

Journal Entry 32 by wingReallyBookishwing at Fort Washington Fire Company in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (7/3/2018 UTC) at Fort Washington Fire Company in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania USA

I hope the finder enjoys the book!

Journal Entry 33 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Fort Washington, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, July 09, 2018

A very interesting read!