corner corner An Invisible Sign of My Own

An Invisible Sign of My Own
by Aimee Bender | Literature & Fiction
Registered by bookfrogster of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 9/13/2014

status (set by okarih): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Picked up in a charity shop. Looks interesting.

Journal Entry 2 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Hmm, I can't decide about this book. I thought the classroom scenes were a bit farfetched. There was also something a bit dissatisfying about the ending. wuill be interested to see what other readers thinks of this one.

Journal Entry 3 by bookfrogster at Canongate Books OBCZ in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (7/14/2015 UTC) at Canongate Books OBCZ in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Set free on the Bookcrossing shelves. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Spotted this when I was dropping off some books to the obcz, I loved ...Lemon Cake, so thought I would give it a whirl. Sorry, BookFrogster if you thought it would travel further, but I will re-release it later :-)

Journal Entry 5 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 25, 2016

An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender - OK

Picked this up because I loved The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. Whilst interesting, for me this didn't live up to its predecessor.

Mona Gray is obsessive, probably somewhere on the spectrum. When she is ten, her father contracts a mysterious illness and Mona begins to remove herself from the world. Every time she becomes good at something, she stops and removes it from her life. She cannot allow herself to enjoy or succeed at anything. The only thing that remains are numbers. She is obsessed by numbers and becomes a Maths teacher to young children. She also obsessively knocks on wood, over and over again.

The story centres on her time teaching the children and the relationships she builds and destroys. It really is a strange little book and I'm failing dismally to describe it without giving anything away. The fact that I didn't really enjoy it but did feel the need to finish it is more to do with my obsessive behaviour patterns than anything else. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it. Whilst I am nowhere near this behaviour pattern, I do have my quirks and numbers do figure (pun not intended) for me too. Might be a little too close to home.

Journal Entry 6 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I decided to offer this book up as a bookray. You can find the forum details here:

List so far:

okarih, UK, UK only
Saskiasosmile, UK to UK, then EU, then Anywhere
rodespringbal, Belgium to EU only
penelopewanders, switzerland, Europe only

If this changes for any reason, I will update this journal entry as well as the forum post

Journal Entry 7 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (5/16/2017 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted out to Okarih.

Hope you enjoy the book

Journal Entry 8 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2017

The book arrived yesterday - I got 2 in the package which was a lovely surprise! Thank you for posting this to me, Cassandra2020!