corner corner The Lost King of France : The Tragic Story of Marie-Antoinette's Favourite Son

Journal Entry 1 by wingbloedengelwing from Vosselaar, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, September 05, 2014

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!)

Journal Entry 2 by wingbloedengelwing at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, September 05, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/5/2014 UTC) at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

This comes as a ... surprise, I guess ;) Happy birthday !

Journal Entry 3 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, October 04, 2014

Book showed up in the post today

Journal Entry 4 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, September 25, 2015

I found this book very heart breaking and tragic with how the royal family especially an 8 year old boy met their ends very sad indeed. I found this book to be very well written and very well researched. It's a good sign when an author does the research befor writing and gets their facts right.

The first half of this book tells us about the tragic and controversial story of Louis 16th and Marie Antoinette and the build up and the reasons behind the revolution. The second half of the book tells us about the fall of the royal family of France and the revolution itself.

The main central enquiry in the book is what happened to the child Louis 17th after he was imprisoned following the French Revolution and finishes with how the young boy had died and the help of modern day DNA technology and genetic tests to help unravel the mysterys surrounding his death and puts to bed two century's of speculation about the French royal line and to end all the disputes and speculations on what happens to this little boy Louis

It was heart breaking to read on how awful these children were treated and how badly they had suffered all because of their parents selfishness and greed. No matter how rich or poor children and born they should never have been so badly treated and neglected at the hands of people whom should of known better

Journal Entry 5 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Oppem's Birthday Group, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, October 05, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/7/2015 UTC) at Oppem's Birthday Group, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Thank you for this wishlist book, Abi-Gibby! I've been wanting to read it for quite a while. Thanks to you and Bloedengel for making it available! ;-) I really look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Wow! I've read two books about French history recently, (the other being the historical novel The Painted Girls) and they both get a rare 10 stars! And...they're both going to the same new reader via wishlist-tag.

This was fascinating! And eye-opening, because before reading this, I'd studied quite a lot about the French Revolution, and I was always on the side of the people, thinking that both Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette deserved everything they got (well, maybe not the guillotine, but certainly losing their reign). This book completely changed my opinion and I saw them as people with real sufferings and basically good intentions.

It was interesting to read about the many theories of the Dauphin having escaped from the Tower and another child substituted in his cell. And the countless pretenders, hoping to gain money or fame. Guess it's human nature to try to pull a fast one - like all the Elvises and Anastasias running around out there. It's only thanks to DNA that this was solved once and for all - but the earlier methods used to try to ascertain the identity of the child's remains were quite ingenious.

Most highly recommended! I'm very grateful to the earlier readers for making this available!

Journal Entry 8 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (4/19/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

On its way - finally - to bookstogive via the wishlist tag game. I'm so sorry for the long delay. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Friday, April 22, 2016

I received this great book as part of the tag game, thanks so much for tagging me! I am really looking forward to reading this one soon

Journal Entry 10 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Sunday, January 08, 2017

When Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette become King and Queen of France they took over a country suffering from bad debts and civil unrest among the common people. This soon results in the people storming the palace and taking the royal family into custody and being placed under arrest.
After predetermined trials both Louis (1791) and Marie Antoinette (1793) were sent to the guillotine which left their 2 young children prisoners alone. It is a sad commentary that these children, ages 8 and 14 were treated so terribly just because of who their parents were, including solitary confinement.
Little Louis-Charles died in June of 1795 due to neglect and possible TB, but his body was hastily buried and lost to history. During his autopsy the heart was removed and through a series of travels was eventually located and DNA tested against current/deceased relatives to determine if it was legitimate.

An interesting look at French history and what steps were taken to determine the fate of Louis-Charles, Duc of Normandy

Journal Entry 11 by wingbookstogivewing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, January 20, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (1/20/2017 UTC) at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Releasing as a RABCK, I hope you enjoy it!

To the finder of this book:

Journal Entry 12 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, February 27, 2017

Another wonderful treat from the ever-generous bookstogive - many thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, July 29, 2017

Many thanks to all this book's previous readers, who wrote such excellent journal entries. I won't try to add to their very good summaries, but I agree with the cover blurb from Alison Weir (an author I vastly admire), that I could not put it down. It's a great treat when a history of events more than 200 years in the past can generate such suspense.

And there was one little surprise bonus for me. Like any other American reader, I have read Mark Twain's 'Huckleberry Finn' and chuckled over the two obvious lowlife's pretensions to be the Duke of Bilgewater and the Lost Dauphin of France. But from this book, I learned that because of the confusion surrounding the Dauphin's death, there were dozens and dozens of claimants, all over the world. Twain obviously thought this was entertaining enough to put into his book to show how improbable most of them were.

Journal Entry 14 by wingJudySlump612wing at Dunn Bros Coffee @ E Lake & W River in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, July 29, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (7/29/2017 UTC) at Dunn Bros Coffee @ E Lake & W River in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

On shelves next to fireplace