corner corner Wave

Wave
by Sonali Deraniyagala | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by grubsneerg of Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on 1/17/2015

status (set by HI77): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, January 17, 2015

Chosen from Little Free Library #15414 in the East Liberty/Garfield neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pa., December 2014.

Journal Entry 2 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, October 26, 2015

Wow. What a mesmerizing account from a survivor of the 2004 tsunami that killed around 230,000 people in 14 countries. One minute, Sonali Deraniyagala and her family are enjoying a holiday in a Sri Lankan resort, the next, they are running for their lives as the tsunami engulfs their world. Deraniyagala's storytelling is like a wave itself, her anguish and guilt advancing and retreating, sometimes violently, sometimes gently, but always a constant. This must have been a terribly difficult book to write, but it is written beautifully. I am so sorry that this is a true story.

Journal Entry 3 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, November 06, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (11/6/2015 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Sent to HI77 in Florida as part of a trade. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, November 13, 2015

Like a broken water pipe,

the memories come in gushes
threatening to drown.

Journal Entry 5 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Sunday, July 01, 2018

I think that when I chose this book, I had it in my mind that it was going to be half about her, the survivor's feelings and half about the tsunami and the environment.

This was really all about her and her feelings and actions in an almost painful second by second account for 6 years.

Don't get me wrong. This whole thing was horrific and the loss is unimaginable and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

But that said, judging this as an enduring book... it just doesn't make it. She really needed an editor that would be tough enough to guide her story to more balance to the events outside that were going on alongside her own pain. Even if she wasn't aware of them at the time.

Instead, just focusing on her pain and her tunnel vision, the book dragged on and was just too depressing to give my full attention. It is a shame, because I feel that if the story had been more blended, it could have been a story that continued to be well read through the generations, as it was a unique and unimaginable event to have lived through.