corner corner Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
by Piper Kerman | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by winggrubsneergwing of Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on 1/31/2015

status (set by grubsneerg): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggrubsneergwing from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, January 31, 2015

Picked up at the Greensburg-Hempfield Area Library book sale in Greensburg, Pa., November 2014.

Journal Entry 2 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 29, 2015

So, this is the book that the Netflix series of the same name is based on, but they are two quite different things. Where the series is funny and explicit, this book is serious and very tame—and that's OK, because the real Piper Kerman's story is one that needs to be told, not for the fictional Piper Chapman's entertainment value, but for its educational value.

The real-life Piper raises some interesting and sobering thoughts about the criminal justice system in the United States, and about how our indifference to the suffering of others is bad for society as a whole. We all should be brave enough to offer help where and when we can, to feel empathy, to connect with others. It's a difficult challenge, but one worth accepting.

Journal Entry 3 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (3/29/2015 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Passing along to Sister No. 3 to read and most likely return. Her daughters have told her she would not enjoy the Netflix series, but I think she will like this book.

Update 1 May, 2015:
Sister No. 3 enjoyed this book very much and has passed it on to Niece No. 1, who expressed an interest in reading it.