corner corner Glass of Blessings

Glass of Blessings
by Barbara Pym | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingMissMarkeywing of Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on 8/24/2014

status (set by sota48): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingMissMarkeywing from Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2014

This book is reserved for a book ring for attendees of the Oxford Convention 2015. Our first author talk will be from Clemence Schultz of The Barbara Pym Society. Her talk is entitled 'Barbara Pym : An Unashamed a Reader Of Novels'.
1. Pinkoeria.............read
2. Earthcaroleanne.....read
3. Greenbadger".........read
4. NowINKA ...........read

Journal Entry 2 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 05, 2014

Thank you for sending this ring, it looks really good! I am going to read it after I am done my current book and get it moving again.

Journal Entry 3 by pinkoeria at Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Can't say I liked this book much, but that is mostly because I didn't like Wilmet with her petty worries and her snobby attitude. Maybe we were not supposed to like her? I did like Barbara Pym's style and I would read other books by her.

Journal Entry 4 by pinkoeria at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/7/2014 UTC) at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom

To the next reader. Sorry for the dealy, I had totally forgotten about it.

Journal Entry 5 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 09, 2014

This arrived today but of course being a typical bookring, it didn't arrive alone. Plus, I already have a backlog with three bookrings arriving on the same day last week, but I'll get to it asap.

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sorry for having this a bit longer than normal - my backlog is worrying me but I'm getting there.

I've read a couple of other Barbara Pym novels and I was beginning to think they were all the same:- middle-class, bored housewife; middle-aged spinsters falling in love with the curate; everyone doing good... However I think this might be my favourite as it changed direction slightly with Mr Bason's behaviour, married men maybe wanting more excitement and Piers' drunkenness and suggested homosexuality (or was that just me?) which is interesting for 1958. Although I'm sure the scene where Wilmet watches Piers go into a pub was an exact copy from an earlier book. Probably what you'd call a cosy read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingearthcaroleannewing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (11/27/2014 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

On it's way in the bookring

Journal Entry 8 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 11, 2014

Sorry, this has languished at the Post Office for a few days while I was too busy to pick it up. Now safely with me, thank you!

Journal Entry 9 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Wilmet Forsyth is a bored 50s housewife, entertaining herself with curiosity about her neighbours at the vicarage where the two celibate men have a handsome new assistant and a new male housekeeper. Meanwhile she allows herself to become fascinated by her friend's brother Piers, who turns out not to be at all what she expected. An amusing story but the laugh-out-loud humour mentioned by the reviewers on the back totally passed me by.

Journal Entry 10 by winggreenbadgerwing at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 03, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (1/3/2015 UTC) at St Albans, Hertfordshire United Kingdom

On its way to NowINkA who is next in the ring.

Journal Entry 11 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Monday, January 12, 2015

I've just found the book in my letter box, thank you! Looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 12 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Sunday, January 18, 2015

My second book by Barbara Pym and a decent read but although I liked the writing style (again!), I must admit that I enjoyed Crampton Hodnet more. I simply found the characters more likeable (even the old Miss Doggett!) while Wilmet Forsyth seemed self-centred in a sort of annoying way...
Anyway, I haven't found the information on the Internet and maybe that's the thing to ask the speaker at the Convention but I noticed that once again Barbara Pym mentioned Poland in her novel (a pleasant surprise!) so I wonder whether she had any close connection with my country (her mother's name - Irena - sounds oddly familiar) or was it just a coincidence.
Another thing that I found amusing and considered as a sort of author's private joke, was to read about the characters that bore her name - first Barbara 'Birdie' Bird and now the young typist (at Rodney's office) Miss Pim ;)

Now waiting for my turn to read Excellent Women

Journal Entry 13 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Monday, January 19, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (1/19/2015 UTC) at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland

Sending this back to MissMarkey. Thank you for sharing it with me!

Journal Entry 14 by wingMissMarkeywing at Harwell, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 25, 2015

This book has returned to me after the Bookring. I shall take it to the Oxford Convention.

Journal Entry 15 by wingMissMarkeywing at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (4/10/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

Going onto the OXFORD Connections section of the Book Buffet.

Journal Entry 16 by wingMissMarkeywing at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Going onto the OXFORD Connections section of the Book Buffet.

Journal Entry 17 by Ceciliala at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 11, 2015

I was lucky to find a book by one of authors talked about at the bookcrossing Convention in oxford. Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 18 by Mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Saturday, December 12, 2015

Got this after Ceciliala, but forgot to register it. I really enjoyed the read, and will keep a lookout after more of Barbara Pyms books!

Journal Entry 19 by Mariabokmal at a fellow bookcrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 12, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (12/12/2015 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases

A little christmas surprise travelling along with another book!

Journal Entry 20 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, December 18, 2015

A very nice surprise RABCK for Christmas! I read one Barbara Pym before the Oxford convention and enjoyed it very much. So thank you! I look forward to read this one.

Journal Entry 21 by wingsota48wing at Hokksund, Buskerud fylke Norway on Thursday, September 22, 2016

This is my second Barbara Pym; an author I had never heard of before the Oxford Convention.
I have a hard time relating to her characters, but I enjoy her books all the same.

Journal Entry 22 by wingsota48wing at OsloS-OBCZ in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway on Thursday, October 13, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (10/13/2016 UTC) at OsloS-OBCZ in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

I'll release the book in the zone at the BC meet up this afternoon. I will leave it on the shelf unless someone takes it home.