corner corner Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
by Robin Sloan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Crataegus of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 7/24/2014

status (set by reveredchicken): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Crataegus from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Welcome to Bookcrossing! The book you're holding is now yours - no strings attached. Feel free to enjoy it, or pass it along but please feel free to leave me a note to let me know it has found a safe new home. If you choose to do so, you can leave an anonymous note, or you can register for Bookcrossing, and receive alerts on where this book ends up next!

From back of book:
"The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon out of his life as a San Francisco web-design drone - and into a new gig working the night shift at Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. But Clay learns that this store is even more curious than the name suggests. The few customers come in repeatedly to borrow impossibly obscure volumes, all according to some elaborate arrangement with the gnomic Mr. Penumbra. Soon, Clay has embarked on a complex analysis of the patron's behaviour and roped his friends into helping him figure out just what's going on. But once they bring their Findings to Mr. Penumbra, they discover secrets that extend far beyond the walls of the bookstore."

Registered for Calgary Bookcrossing's August 2014 "book" themed BookCrossing meeting.

Journal Entry 2 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 24, 2014

This wasn't my favourite book of all time but it had an interesting premise - a modern-day secret-society type of mystery without the usual clichés of a typical mystery. He doesn't give you any hints and forces you to discover the mystery along with the main character Clay. I'm pretty sure that while my feelings of it were warm (but not hot), it'll still fit in nicely into August's "book" themed meeting.

Will be brought to the next Calgary BookCrossing meetup and hopefully handed off.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Picked up at the August meeting! I've been considering this one for a while.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 10, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (10/10/2015 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the October "Opportunities, Occupations and Old Books" Meeting. For this month I pulled all the books on page 1 of oldest still in hand, plus all the occupation books and chose from both piles.

I jumped on the chance to read this one for occupations as it has been calling to me... Loved it! I had no idea it would go in the direction it did but it was great.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 5 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, October 11, 2015

Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing October meet-up. Can't remember why I put my name down for this book, but it sounds like a good mystery.

Journal Entry 6 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I quite liked this book. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's a nice commentary on digital media versus the printed word. Is one better than the other? Can all of life's problems be solved with computers? The writing style was very snappy and the mystery keeps you engaged right through to the end. Now I wonder if the knitting museum that Clay visits is actually real...

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, December 11, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (12/12/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing this book on the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing December meet-up.

Journal Entry 8 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Picked this up at the December meeting, it is being added to my to be read pile. This was a bad month, I brought home triple the books I brought (I think I have a problem...). We had nine BookCrossers attend and a lot of books.

Journal Entry 9 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 09, 2017

This was a great book, I really enjoyed reading it! The mystery was exciting and I enjoyed all the characters.

Journal Entry 10 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 09, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (9/9/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to Septembers meeting. It should go home with a new reader.

Journal Entry 11 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 12, 2017

An interesting read! Bringing to the next book crossing meeting!

Journal Entry 12 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 12, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (11/11/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

On to the next reader!

Journal Entry 13 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, November 23, 2017

I haven't read the book yet.

Journal Entry 14 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 17, 2017

Looking forward to reading

Journal Entry 15 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

The first paragraph got me interested and I was drawn into the book. As I got to know the main character Clay Jannon, the book kept my interest up with this mysterious book store and the fact that it was open 24 hours and all the strange customers that came into that store in the middle of night. Clay worked the night shift there. The book turned into a mystery of books versus computers. I'm not a computer geek but enjoyed learning about how fast paced that world is and getting faster.

Journal Entry 16 by L-Marie at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

A very interesting book about books versus computers. The characters were very interesting well and the mystery to be solved kept me reading.

Journal Entry 17 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 14, 2018

Picked this book up at the monthly book crossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.