corner corner Kindred

Kindred
by Octavia E. Butler | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by olive-sweetness of Kansas City, Kansas USA on 1/18/2004

status (set by Aramena): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by olive-sweetness from Kansas City, Kansas USA on Sunday, January 18, 2004

The language is plain and frank, but the story itself is brilliant. I read this for my African American novel course during the Fall Semester of 2003 at the University of Missouri- Kansas City. The author crafts an interesting and engaging story, and the characterization gives the reader a personal account of the different struggles faced by slaves.

The plot is as follows (from the publisher):

“From the Publisher : Dana, a modern black woman, is celebrating her twenty-sixth birthday with her new husband when she is snatched abruptly from her home in California and transported to the antebellum South. Rufus, the white son of a plantation owner, is drowning, and Dana has been summoned across the years to save him. After this first summons, Dana is drawn back again and again to the plantation to protect Rufus and ensure that he will grow to manhood and father the daughter who will become Dana's ancestor. Yet each time the stays grow longer and more dangerous until it is uncertain whether or not Dana's life will end, long before it has even begun.”

Journal Entry 2 by olive-sweetness from Kansas City, Kansas USA on Saturday, March 20, 2004

This Book is being used for a Book Ray! Everyone has agreed, for the most part, to do INTL shipping. I've worked out the order as follows:

1. snowmyst- Romney, West Virginia (INTL)
2. newk-Adelaide, south australia (INTL)
3. LeighBCD- London, England UK (INTL)
4. chivers - recife, pernambuco Brazil (Mostly INTL)
5. Eucalia- California, USA (INTL)

When you get the book, please make 3 journal entries. One to say you got the book. One after you have read the book, to share what you thought about it. Then after you PM the next person on the list for their address and mail it to them, make the last journal entry to notate that you have mailed the book on.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by snowmyst from Romney, West Virginia USA on Saturday, April 03, 2004

Just got this in today's mail. I should have it read in a couple of weeks. I have alreay pm'd the next person. Will let you know when I'm finished.

Journal Entry 4 by snowmyst from Romney, West Virginia USA on Saturday, April 10, 2004

I have read her books before and enjoyed them. This one is now exception.

Though I did not so much read as skim. I did the mistake of reading the forward which to me was too much of a spoiler and found that I just couldn't get into the book after that.

I would recommend this book though. Well written and she does trans port you there.

Journal Entry 5 by snowmyst from Romney, West Virginia USA on Monday, April 12, 2004

This went out in the mail on Saturday by surface mail. newk said they were going on vacation and I could take my time.

Journal Entry 6 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, June 13, 2004

arrived today. Not too bad time by surface mail....I have had them take much longer. Hello to you all from overcast old Adelaide. Thanks to olive-s for organising and snowmyst for passing on. I have a few books on the go at the moment but will keep you in touch. I have yet to have a ring book for longer than three weeks.

Journal Entry 7 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, June 21, 2004

This is a very very good book that I am really getting into. It remains wet and cold in Adelaide....good weather for reading. Luckily I skipped the rather ponderous intro...which is really a heavy intellectual review of the book that shouldn't really be there. And I would urge future readers to skip it, or at least read it after the actual book.
I shall PM the next in line tonight. The book should be on its way within a week. I shall rate and write a review then as well as confirm when it is posted.
Thanks again. This is a book I would not have read otherwise. When I get bookcrossing under control I shall seek other books by this author.
And finally what a pity that there are not many more in line for this fine book.
bye

Journal Entry 8 by newk from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Sunday, June 27, 2004

a multilayered book, that was a great read. Hopefully I can write a bit more when I have time. Posted today at Castle Plaza. Economy air. Should take about three weeks.

Added July 8: I like books that make you think as well as being a good read. This book does that in spades. Some of the questions I asked myself:

How would I react if I was a poor uneducated farmer that lived in a society that bought and sold slaves? Would I go along, resist, or ignore it. Only one is the "right" answer, but how many would

How would I react if I was a slave...the book certainly tells us how easy people fall into rolls.

Would I stay faithful and married if I was stranded in a strange time and society for four years?

As well as these and more there is also the old time travel conundrum...what would happen if you could go back in time and influenced your ancestors.

I also appreciated the opening line...the book is gone now so I may not get it exact: "The last trip I made I came back without my left arm"

Journal Entry 9 by LeighBCD on Friday, July 09, 2004

Thanks newk... I have wanted to read this book ever since I first heard of it. I begun reading the novel last night and already I am more than a little hooked. I will make another journal entry once I have finished.

Journal Entry 10 by LeighBCD on Monday, July 12, 2004

I really liked this book, it was different and raised some interesting ideas.

***SPOILER****
The one thing I did not like is that Dana never confronted Rufus with the truth about their relationship. And also, I did not think she really dealt with the fact that Tom Weylin was her ancestor as much as Rufus was. But these are small niggles... it was a very enjoyable novel and I will pass this along to the next member of the ray shortly.

Journal Entry 11 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, September 01, 2004

with apologies for the longer stay with me than expected, this book is on its way today to the next member of the ray.

Journal Entry 12 by LeighBCD at -- Controlled Release in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Released 13 yrs ago (9/1/2004 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom

Journal Entry 13 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Thursday, September 09, 2004

just got the book. will do my best to read it soon, but have other bookrings with me right now. i'll let you know when i start with this one.

Journal Entry 14 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Wednesday, December 08, 2004

just finished reading this book. i'm really sorry i kept it for sooo long, but after i started i couldn't stop reading it!!!!! it really amazes me how human beings can act with other human beings, and it is also hard to believe that all of that happened not too long ago (brasil was the last country to abolish slavery, in 1888, just 116 years ago).

Journal Entry 15 by Eucalia from Issaquah, Washington USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I picked this book up from the post office today. It came all the way from Brazil and it was covered in so many pretty stamps I didn't want to open it! I actually received a couple of other bookring books today too, but since I'm the last on the list for this bookray, I'm going to read this one last. Thanks for sharing with me!

Journal Entry 16 by Eucalia from Issaquah, Washington USA on Saturday, April 16, 2005

I apologize for keeping this book so long before reading it, but once I actually started it, I couldn't put it down. This was a very engaging book that left me with plenty to think about. It did have several aspects (including the ending) that were pretty weak, but the rest of the book more than made up for that. I would definitely recommend this book, thanks for sharing it with me!

I'm posting a picture I took of the book a few days ago in Idylwood Park on the shores of Lake Samammish. Ah, sunshine, iced coffee, and a good book--what could be better?

Journal Entry 17 by Eucalia at Send through the mail in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (5/16/2005 UTC) at Send through the mail in RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Since this bookray is finished, I sent this as a RABCK to Aramena. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, May 23, 2005

This book hitched a ride to me with a book ring book and what a welcome surprise! I've wanted to read it for awhile, I guess I totally missed the postings about the ray, or maybe I was just signed up for too many at the time, I'm trying to limit myself! Anyway, it's going into my TBR pile, and once I've finished it I will definitely pass it on. Thanks Eucalia!