corner corner Walden and Civil Disobedience

Walden and Civil Disobedience
by Henry David Thoreau | Philosophy
Registered by leeann347 of Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, January 18, 2004

status (set by bookczuk): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by leeann347 from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, January 18, 2004

While Walden is wildly wonderful, filled with evocative metaphors, and by itself a seminal work... it's not the reason that I'm registering and releasing this book. It's the essay, Civil Disobedience that I most want to share. A treatise that has impacted the world in ever increasing ripples since it was published, it has impacted some of the most influential movers and shakers of human rights: Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. just to name two. It's in honor of Dr. King that I wish to release it today.

Journal Entry 2 by leeann347 at Bus Stop @ corner of Savannah Hwy. & Parkdale Dr. in Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, January 18, 2004

Release planned for Monday, January 19, 2004 at Bus Stop @ corner of Savannah Hwy. & Parkdale Dr. in Charleston, South Carolina USA.

Tacked to the electrical pole with the bus stop sign on it, on the south side of the highway - same side as Acura dealership.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, January 19, 2004

Wow! My first catch in the wild!!! I have read this before, but really liked the tie-in Lee Ann gave with MLK Day. It's one I that's been on my long term "to read again" list, so thanks for the nudge in that direction.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, February 15, 2004

Will be offering this up in a book ray- It was my first hunt and catch in the wild and I don't want it to get lost in the land of the unjouralled.
Here is the link.

ttp://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/387389/2

Walden is one of my favorites- Thoreau was perhaps one of the first authors I can remember becoming aware of- I was born and raised on a street called "Walden Road". Walden pond became a mythical place for me- it was a journey of the heart to finally get to the actual Massachusetts pond and see it "for real".

I hope this book can land in good and loving hands.

Thank you Leeann347 for releasing it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Thursday, February 19, 2004

Bookring closed: Thoreau's Walden and Civil Disobedience
Here's the order- and I will post it in the bookring forum as well. I wish I could travel with HDT- USA east coast, west coast, Finland, Italy and England! I guess I'll just have to dream....

michaeljl
Ilios
PokPok (thank you for sending overseas. You are an angel)
RoryG
simietta
Netstation (my hero! Without him this would have had to have been a US ring only)
back to me- bookczuk

If there are any problems, get back to me. This will go out as soon as I get the first address.

Journal Entry 6 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Thursday, February 19, 2004

Off to Michaeljl in today's mail.

I just spent a lot of time this morning (when I was supposed to be doing other stuff- like my pulmonary rehab) working on a series of bookmarks that have the logo, website and then spaces to put the names of people in a bookring, in the order of the ring. I also included a quote from the bookish quotes (well, actually 5- one on each bookmark). I have no idea if this idea will work- I was trying to get around the dilema with the post office- this is a bookmark, not a letter, after all! I'm including the very first one (with a quote from Thoreau!) with this book.

Let me know how it works out.

Journal Entry 7 by michaeljl from Portland, Oregon USA on Thursday, February 26, 2004

Received today from bookczuk as part of bookring. Thanks. It goes to the top of my reading list.

Journal Entry 8 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, March 13, 2004

This book has taken on a life of its' own...

See the article in this week's newsletter (March 12)

Journal Entry 9 by michaeljl from Portland, Oregon USA on Sunday, March 21, 2004

Both works are thought provoking and full of important insights. But these two pieces are not as compelling as they were when I first read them in the mid 60's. Maybe it's a change in me, or maybe it's a change in the times.

Of course Walden can be read on more than one level, and at the deepest level it has little to do with the outdoors and everything to do with the inner person, but in order for the conceit to really work on any level you have to be able to buy into the idea of living simply in the woods. We don't have that option any more. There are too many of us and too little space -- even here in Oregon. We have to work toward a different paradigm in which we can all survive in harmony on a crowded planet.

We also have to recognize that the central thesis of Civil Disobedience has been adopted by nut-case tax protestors with AK-47s living in the back woods. That brings me to question the cavalier manner in which H.D. dismisses the idea of working for change in government, "It is not my business to be petitioning the governor or the legislature any more than it is theirs to petition me;. . . " (pp 311-312). It's a clever phrase, but I think it is essentially wrong.

At any rate let me close by affirming that this is still a great book that should be read and reread. I will mail it on to Ilios, the next person in the book ring on Monday.

Journal Entry 10 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Just it in the mail! Thanks, michaeljl! This will be read as soon as I am done with my other rings/rays. bookczuk, I loved your bookmark. Well-spent hours, I guess! ;o)

5/31/04
First, I would like to apologize for the delay. Life has a way to disturb my reading habit! :o)

I signed up for this book because I am really interested in learning more about American culture and reading American classics. I also became interested in Transcendentalism in college, when I had to write a paper on it. The ideas of self-reliance, individualism, and closeness to nature appeal a lot to me. However, I was a little bit disappointed with this book. I don't know if it's even fair to say that, but I had a hard time reading it.

Maybe my English is not good enough and that's why it was taking me so long to finish it. The first session was the hardest to go through ("Economy"), but I enjoyed "Sounds", "Reading", and "Civil Disobedience". Thanks for the opportunity. I didn't give up on Thoreau yet, though! I am going to tackle it again once my life is not so hectic. Maybe with more time, I'll enjoy it more.

Journal Entry 11 by Ilios at post office in snail mailed to a fellow bookcrosser as part of a bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 31, 2004

Release planned for Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at post office in snail mailed to a fellow bookcrosser as part of a bookring, Bookring Controlled Releases.

Sending to PokPok. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I rec'd this today. I've read both before, but it's time for a re-read. Thank you for providing the opportunity. I do have one other bookring ahead of it, but should have it completed within a month or so.

Journal Entry 13 by PokPok at Controlled Release in Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 17, 2004

Released on Thursday, June 17, 2004 at Controlled Release in Controlled release, to another bookcrosser Controlled Releases.

Will mail off once I get a mailing address. So far I've been unsuccessful...

Journal Entry 14 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Thursday, June 17, 2004

Unfortunately, I'm not going to read this book right now. I read it in high school, and got a lot out of it. When the ring was offerred up, I thought it would make a good re-read. However, I have 4 other bookrings here, and I really need to work on my own TBR mountain, so I'm going to pass on. Next time I see it in a used book store, I'll grab a copy.

I did read the chapter on Reading, LOL. I have to admit, that Thoreau is much more...mmm... lofty than I remembered him being. I enjoyed reading some of the discussion notes. I also re-read Civil Disobedience. It was different than I remembered, but gave me much to think about.

Thanks for offerring up the ring. I am inspired to hunt down a copy that I can read on my own timeline.

I did PM RoryG twice this week, and haven't heard an answer. So this may not go out for the next couple weeks, when I hit the post office again. :(

Pokpok

Journal Entry 15 by RoryG from Orsay, Ile-de-France France on Saturday, August 07, 2004

Got it! Thanks bookczuk for organizing the ring and also special thanks PokPok for sending the book overseas.

Journal Entry 16 by RoryG from Orsay, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Ok, I'm giving up. This was partly interesting, but I think I also had too big expectations for this book. I wanted to read Walden since I saw the Dead Poet's Society for the first time. But I just didn't get anywhere with this. And it's not language itself, because I had only few words that I didn't understand, but somehow this was just a heavy book to read. I finally gave after the chapter "Reading". What annoyed me in the book was Thoreau's attitude. In his view there was only one way to live a worthy life and that was his own way. He was too narrow-minded for me. I know that this was written in a totally different era, but I still can't get over his narrow-mindedness. Well, this just wasn't for me. Thanks bookczuk for sharing, though, since now I know what it's all about. And I really did want to read it in the beginning.

I'm soo sorry, the back cover was torn a bit. I'm usually very careful with books and I don't know how this happened. I fixed it, though, but I'm really sorry that it happened in the first place.

Well, I'll send this to simietta as soon as I get the address.

Journal Entry 17 by simietta from Pordenone, Friuli Venezia Giulia Italy on Friday, September 24, 2004

I received the book yesterday, I have two rings before this, I will try to be as quick as possible.

Journal Entry 18 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, December 19, 2004

I am using this opportunity as ring host to burst in and say the following:

Peace on Earth
Good Books to All

And a happy, healthy and safe 2005 to you and yours

(I'll put a picture here later, when I can think of a good one!)

Journal Entry 19 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, October 30, 2005

Received September 23:

THIS IS A PRIVATE MESSAGE FROM ANOTHER BOOKCROSSING.COM MEMBER.
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE USING YOUR EMAIL - IT WON'T WORK!
To reply while maintaining your privacy, you must use this web page:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello bookczuk,

sorry for the delay - I had asked Netstation for the shipping address but I
never got a reply - that was before I went on vacation so when I came back I forgot
about it (excuse me but I am in the middle of moving to another place so I have been
up in the air since I came back). I will send another email right away and send the
book as soon as I have received the address.

simietta

It is my understanding that she now has the address and the book is traveling again.

Journal Entry 20 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, March 03, 2006

I wrote Simetta again asking if she needed Netstation's address again, and received this reply February 20, 2006. (I resent the addy again and hopefully, the the book got sent off to Coventry.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello bookczuk,
I've been away for the past week - sorry for my late reply.
Please do send me his address.