corner corner A Long Way Home: A Memoir

A Long Way Home: A Memoir
by Saroo Brierley | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingMyssCynwing of San Antonio, Texas USA on 5/24/2014

status (set by barbieq233): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingMyssCynwing from San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, May 24, 2014

An ARC I won on LibraryThing.

Journal Entry 2 by wingMyssCynwing at San Antonio, Texas USA on Monday, May 26, 2014

This was a fasinating story of a very poor five year old Indian boy who ends up on a train that takes him far far from home. Much further than he ever imagined.
After spending time on the streets of Calcutta he is eventually taken to an orphanage and adoped by an Australian couple.
As an adult he uses Google Earth to search for the town and train station he remembers from his childhood.
I read that this is being made into a movie and he just signed a multi-million dollar contract.
I am happy for him and his families

Journal Entry 3 by wingMyssCynwing at San Antonio, Texas USA on Saturday, May 31, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/31/2014 UTC) at San Antonio, Texas USA

If you find a book I've wild released please make a journal entry. You don't have to join the site to do it but it will let me know that someone found it. Then please pass it on when you are finished.
If I've RABCKed a book to you please feel free to RABCK it forward or wild release it.

RABCK=Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness See you SHOULD join if you haven't already. Someone may send you a book you put on a wishlist!

Ring participants:
Aberpeter
heartthumber
spoiledrotten
hyphen8
ZergRush
minesayn

Journal Entry 4 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Thursday, June 19, 2014

The book arrived today. I need to finish my current read before starting this one.

Journal Entry 5 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, July 06, 2014

Saroo Brierley personal story of growing up in India and getting lost at the age of five. His journey takes him on a train to Calcutta where he spends a couple of months in an orphanage before his adoption by an Australian couple. When Saroo is in his late twenties he discovers Google Earth and spends years studying India to find his way back home.

Saroo's story has a happy ending and I wish the best for him and his families.

Journal Entry 6 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Friday, July 11, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

The book is on its way to Kansas.

Journal Entry 7 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Arrived yesterday while I was at work. I'll send it on as soon as I'm finished. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Monday, July 21, 2014

Just wish it had gone a bit further with his plans for the future. Otherwise, great book.

Journal Entry 9 by wingheartthumperwing at A bookray, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/5/2014 UTC) at A bookray, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Off by mail to spoiledrotten. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by spoiledrotten at Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Received in the mail. Have one book to read before this one. Thanks for sending and including me.

08/24/14 Will be starting this book tonight. Will verify hyphen8 's addy and mail out as soon as I am done.

08/27/14 This is a very moving memoir, written beautifully, about a five year old boy who accidentally gets on a train in India and becomes lost in Calcutta for several weeks before he is found and placed in an orphanage. Saroo tells the story of his life, his adoption by a family in Australia and his search for his roots until he finally finds his birth family almost twenty five years later.

Will mail out to the next reader within the next few days. Thanks for sending and including me.

Journal Entry 11 by spoiledrotten at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (8/28/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Sending out to Hyphen8 who is next up for this ring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Arrived today: sounds like a fascinating story. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 13 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Best commercial for Google Earth ever, although I have to think that most American 5-year-olds would not be able to do what Saroo did. If you get strapped into a car seat every time you leave the house and then watch videos in the car, you won't have the slightest clue how to find your neighborhood on foot.

Still, an amazing story with all sorts of good luck on Saroo's side, from all the things that didn't happen to him in Calcutta/Kolkata, to his happy life with his Australian family, to his successful rediscovery of his childhood home and his Indian family. I hope that he and both of his families are able to successfully adjust to their changed lives and the unlikely events that brought them all together.

I blew through this quite quickly, but I wanted to let Mom read it too. Now she's done and I have ZergRush's address, so it should be in the mail tomorrow (9/25).

Google Maps on YouTube
60 Minutes Australia
NPR's All Things Considered

Journal Entry 14 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/25/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out to New Hampshire to continue the ray - happy reading!

I'll count this as a release for Secretariat's 2014 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 38).

· · · · · · · · · ·

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 15 by ZergRush at Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 09, 2014

Received the book! Thanks Hyphen8! Will be starting it today!

Journal Entry 16 by ZergRush at Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I loved this heartwarming story! I'm excited to see what they bring to film!

Journal Entry 17 by ZergRush at Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/14/2014 UTC) at Manchester, New Hampshire USA

Sent via USPS to minesayn!

Journal Entry 18 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Friday, October 17, 2014

Received in the mail yesterday...because of all the birthday greetings, I presume it was part of it. Will get reading this soon, but thanks for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 19 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Saturday, February 07, 2015

This is Saroo Brierley's story of finding his way back home. At the age of five, he accidentally traveled from his home to Calcutta. There he miraculously lived on the streets there until he was picked up and put in an orphanage. From the orphanage to Australia to the family who adopted him. Twenty-five years later, he traced his journey back to his home in India.

Thanks MyssCyn for starting the ray; it will be passed on to another bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 20 by wingminesaynwing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, February 09, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (2/9/2015 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

Sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!
I have either registered it, or received it from another person who is willing to share it, too. Consider logging onto www.bookcrossing.com and letting us know where it is been and where it is going next. It can be done anonymously or join the site as a member.

Sending via media mail...fulfilled wish list book. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 21 by wingghirwing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Wow, this one has gotten around! Added this to my wishlist after seeing it on a "Best of" list somewhere. Will read and pass along.

Very quick read, and a well-told, fascinating story.

Funny coincidence abounds. This book has already travelled to Hawaii once (to hyphen8), and then jumped back across the ocean. And I see the Bookcrossing labels are my design ("book on the run")!

To barbieq, mailed 03/12/15.

Journal Entry 22 by barbieq233 at Candler, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Got this in the mail today from ghir. Thank you so much for the book and all the other goodies. The chocolate covered macadamia nut candy, the maple tea and the coffee. Also the book crossing supplies. These will come in handy.