corner corner Free

Free
by Paul Vincent | Literature & Fiction
Registered by PaulHumber of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on 1/16/2004

status (set by Tirelessreader): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by PaulHumber from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 16, 2004

A terrific read - pacy, funny and literary. The best thriller I've read for a long while.

Journal Entry 2 by PaulHumber at on Friday, January 16, 2004

Released on Friday, January 16, 2004 at Internet Exchange (across from St Mary's) in Cambridge, England United Kingdom.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, January 21, 2004

I loved the idea of it coming free down the internet as kind of chain letter. The book itself was a little erratic but I read it twice and will recommend it to everyone because it had me guessing right down to the last minute, and I loved its easy-going nature.

CAUGHT IN NEWTOWN WALES GREAT BRITAIN

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, January 27, 2004

By a happy coincidence I have read a previous one of Paul Vincent's, The Death of Me which I found richer and more rewarding. Nonetheless, Free is immaculate and if he keeps going like this he will be the next J K Rowling, in sales terms.

CAUGHT IN SOUTHSEA HAMPSHIRE GB

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, February 05, 2004

Is this the ultimate freebie, or what. I great read. We need more books like this.

CAUGHT IN WINCHESTER HAMPSHIRE GB

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, February 08, 2004

I was not as bowled over as others. I thought the characters were well dreamt up and interesting, but I thought the plot about the letters was pointless and not resolved well. This author will probably go on to write a classic but this is not it.

CAUGHT IN ELY CAMBS GREAT BRITAIN

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, February 12, 2004

I also got it via the internet from a friend. I disagree with the last person. Did we really want every last question mark and loose end sorted out? The book would be an extra 100 pages long. Sal is right when he takes the view that he must decide that his future is with Gabrielle, regardless of the past. A great ending. A great thriller, a great book.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, February 16, 2004

I'm ashamed to say it is the first book I've managed to finish for ages. This is a tribute to the writer who had me hooked from the first.

CAUGHT IN HAMMERSMITH LONDON GREAT BRITAIN

Journal Entry 9 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, February 22, 2004

I'd never heard of Book Crossing, I'd never heard of Paul Vincent. 10 out of 10 to both. A perfect thriller. In my view, second in my affections only to Silence of the Lambs.

CAUGHT IN ST IVES CORNWELL GB

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, February 23, 2004

I understand why people are giving it ten out of tens, but in my view it sometimes felt as if it needed a bit more work on it. Some chapters were sublime in their simplicity but I got a little bored with all the chasing around at the end. I can't really complain though as it was better than almost every mystery or crime book I have ever read.

CAUGHT IN MANCHESTER . GB

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, February 25, 2004

A terrific read. I was sent this by my friend Tim and will pass it on asap.

CAUGHT IN DULWICH LONDON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 12 by CharlotteP from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Saturday, February 28, 2004

I can't say I am very keen on thrillers, but that aside, it was a very enjoyable read and the co-worker to whom I passed it on, thinks it's the best thing she's read for ages, so a seven.

CAUGHT IN NATION PARIS FRANCE

Journal Entry 13 by HollyH from Folkestone, Kent United Kingdom on Monday, March 01, 2004

I am a confirmed fan of books like the Minette Walters books so this was a very welcome present.

CAUGHT IN WHITFIELD KENT UK

Journal Entry 14 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, March 03, 2004

If there is such a thing, this is a'friendly' thriller. Very Good.

CAUGHT IN ST IVES CORNWALL ENGLAND

Journal Entry 15 by GeorginaH from Burgess Hill, West Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, March 04, 2004

This is the first book I have ever got through email and as I had heard of Book Crossing but not living near a place where books were bing dropped, this was wonerful. By the by, it's a very good book which I shall now buy.

CAUGHT IN BURGESS HILL SUSSEX GREAT BRITAIN

Journal Entry 16 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, March 05, 2004

Mr Vincent did go out of his way to throw everything into the story including the kitchen sink (against which a character cracked her head I believe) but that said, I did enjoy Free and look forward to the next.

CAUGHT IN BALLOCH INVERNESS SCOTLAND

Journal Entry 17 by AmyVanDeMaat from Schagen, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, March 05, 2004

This is the quickest i have ever read a book. I did not put it down all day.

CAUGHT IN SCHAGEN NOORD NETHERLANDS

Journal Entry 18 by solesister from Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, March 05, 2004

I hope I don't get stoned in the street for saying this, but this is the first book I've read for about ten years. I shall now read another one: the follow up!

CAUGHT IN LITTLEHAMPTON SUSSEX GB

Journal Entry 19 by StroppySue from Hereford, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 09, 2004

A quick cheerful read which I would recommend to most people.

CAUGHT IN WHITE CROSS HEREFORD UK

Journal Entry 20 by WiseGordon from Blackpool, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 09, 2004

A sensational book. I can't recall reading a mystery like this one before, but top marks to the author.

Journal Entry 21 by Walkertalker from Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, March 11, 2004

This author ought to decide whether he wants to write literary books or for the mass market. It was okay as far as it went.

CAUGHT IN DURHAM COUNTY DURHAM ENGLAND

Journal Entry 22 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, March 12, 2004

It was sent to me by internet. It took me two days to read, which was two days spent well. It is a very good book.

CAUGHT IN LUTON BEDFORDSHIRE ENGLAND

Journal Entry 23 by technoprincess from Bath, Somerset United Kingdom on Monday, March 15, 2004

This book revolutionised my weekend. It rained. I read. Book Crossing, thank you!

CAUGHT IN WESTON BATH GB

Journal Entry 24 by Davethebloke from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 16, 2004

The letters were a bit of a red herring, but all in all a thriller and half. Proof, to my mind, that great literature and a ripping yarn are not mutually exclusive. Thank you to book crossing, and my friend who sent it.

CAUGHT IN WITHINGTON MANCHESTER ENGLAND

Journal Entry 25 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, March 16, 2004

i wouldn't say it was the best book ever, but I got to the end such as it was.

CAUGHT IN HUCKNALL NOTTINGHAM GB

Journal Entry 26 by megsaunders from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 18, 2004

I have to disagree with some of the weaker comments I have just read here. Can anyone name a better murder mystery writer? I was gob-smacked by this book. Too often, crime books are lazily written and a licence to be dull. Ten out of ten.

CAUGHT IN TELFORD SHROPSHIRE UK

Journal Entry 27 by Jabbathehutch from -- wild released somewhere in Kent, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, March 19, 2004

Book Crossing? Genius! Free? Genius! What more needs to be said?

CAUGHT IN ORPINGTON KENT ENGLAND

Journal Entry 28 by nanjacobs from Derby, not specified not specified on Friday, March 19, 2004

I would agree with the last person. This will now be one of my favourite thrillers, not a genre I even like that much. I will pass it on to as many people as I can.

CAUGHT IN SPONDON DERBY GB

Journal Entry 29 by jondoe on Monday, March 22, 2004

What can I say that hasn't been said above? I thought this was a superb read. I am just beginning to read it a second time.

CAUGHT IN COOMBE HILL GLOUCS GB

Journal Entry 30 by NotMeAgain on Wednesday, March 24, 2004

I got it by email and I liked the book. I found the ending a bit confusing, a bit over my head? But otherwise the only thing wrong with this is that I would have been happy if it was longer.

CAUGHT IN NEW CROSS LONDON UK

Journal Entry 31 by Minette2 from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2004

I didn't like it at first, but then I found I hadn't put it down all day, so... what can I say? It must be good.

CAUGHT IN SWANSEA WALES U.K.

Journal Entry 32 by warmheart from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, March 27, 2004

What a extraordinary surprise in my inbox. Has everyone been getting free books all along and I've never heard of it? Thank you to everyone involved, especially Book Crossing.

CAUGHT IN BOUNDS GREEN LONDON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 33 by FrankJ from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 29, 2004

I didn't find this book as satisfying as the other readers, but I whole heartedly agree with the enterprise.

CAUGHT IN LONDON ENGLAND UK

Journal Entry 34 by getlucky from Gosport, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 30, 2004

I don't know what the last person has been drinking, but I thought this is as good as a book can get. Thank you to Book Crossing. What else should I read? Got anything else as good as this?

CAUGHT IN GOSPORT HANTS ENGLAND

Journal Entry 35 by readerdude from Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 01, 2004

fan-blooming-tastic. an extraordinary book that blew me away with its zest and entertainment value.

CAUGHT IN GUISBOROUGH CLEVELAND ENGLAND

Journal Entry 36 by Anon101 on Thursday, April 01, 2004

I have also read The Death of Me, but this was an easier ride. A joy in fact.

CAUGHT IN WICK BRISTOL ENGLAND

Journal Entry 37 by reetpetit from Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 02, 2004

Oh.... my.... God.... an astonishing debut. Is it a debut? Are there other ones? I suppose it's my next task to find out. It makes most authors look so plodding by comparison.

CAUGHT IN LEIGHTON BUZZARD BEDS GB

Journal Entry 38 by eagerbeever from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 06, 2004

It is alarming that this book should be about terrorism in Spain but was obviously written before the recent trouble. A very interesting book though.

CAUGHT IN NEASDEN LONDON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 39 by saldevoe from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 07, 2004

What a delightful find. Thank you to Book Crossing and everyone involved.

CAUGHT IN COVENTRY WARWICKSHIRE ENGLAND

Journal Entry 40 by Minniekitten from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Thursday, April 08, 2004

It's a male equivalent of Nicci French but with more substance. I agree with the other entries. A good book.

CAUGHT IN BRIGHTON SUSSEX ENGLAND

Journal Entry 41 by DavidP from York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 10, 2004

Eeeeeek. A good one. The person who sent it to me didn't make an entry though, unless he was one of the anonymous readers. Hi Luke!

CAUGHT IN YORK YORKSHIRE GB

Journal Entry 42 by Oliverstoned from Dawlish, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I shall pass it on to as many people as possible.

CAUGHT IN DAWLISH DEVON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 43 by Wendyroper from Canterbury, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, April 15, 2004

A quite wonderful surprise that I will recommend on.

CAUGHT IN CANTERBURY KENT ENGLAND

Journal Entry 44 by wotnot from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 18, 2004

I have now read it a grand total of three times, what greater praise is there? I still haven't worked out the ending though.

CAUGHT IN SEACROFT LEEDS ENGLAND

Journal Entry 45 by Fordfixer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, April 25, 2004

This had better not be a flash in the pan. A would dearly love to read a lot more books by Mr Vincent. In a Spinal Tap style, I would say eleven stars out of ten.

CAUGHT IN LIVERPOOL ENGLAND GB

Journal Entry 46 by Ben1000 from Banstead, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, April 25, 2004

A first class thriller. It is that rare novel a literary page turner. Just great.

CAUGHT IN BANSTEAD SURREY ENGLAND

Journal Entry 47 by Newaccount from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 27, 2004

A literary thriller: there's a novelty. I read it in two sittings, which is the quickest I have read a book for a long while.

CAUGHT IN CALDERGLEN GLASGOW SCOTLAND

Journal Entry 48 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, April 28, 2004

It probably is a case of 'believe the hype' because I can't recall a thriller as good as this since Mo Hayder came on the scene. But did anyone else feel the book was just a little too eager to please?

CAUGHT IN KETTERING ENGLAND GB

Journal Entry 49 by Islandhopper from not specified, not specified not specified on Friday, April 30, 2004

Oh dear, Free makes most crime novels and thrillers look very leaden and unimaginative. Are we witnessing the kind of phenomenon like when the Williams sisters started playing tennis and everyone else had to raise their game? A sensational book.

CAUGHT IN RYDE ISLE OF WIGHT ENGLAND

Journal Entry 50 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, May 04, 2004

This has been a very poor year for books in my humble opinion and crime/mystery genres have been particularly poor, so this is a welcome development. A 100% cracking perfect wonderful escapist yarn blending comedy with high drama. Good luck to you Mr Paul Vincent where ever you are. A British author, yeah? Simply perfect.

CAUGHT IN GORTON SANDS ESSEX ENGLAND

Journal Entry 51 by allstaff from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, May 06, 2004

I found it hard to make my mind up about this one, but when in doubt I have two rules of thumb: did I sail through it? Yes. Am I still thinking about it a few days later. Yes. In fairness I can't recall a crime book this good for quite a long year so nine out of ten from me.

CAUGHT IN DUBLIN EIRE IRELAND

Journal Entry 52 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, May 07, 2004

I find myself disagreeing with the other readers. This author is plainly very talented so why is he writing such trash?

CAUGHT IN TUNBRIDGE WELLS KEN ENGLAND

Journal Entry 53 by bloggerextremis on Monday, May 10, 2004

It is so self-evident that this is one of the most accomplished thrillers of recent years thatI totally fail to see where some of these other correspondants are coming from. An absolute sensation and I would not change a single word of this book.

CAUGHT IN LONDON ENGLAND GB

Journal Entry 54 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

It could have been longer, but isn't that what they say about entertainment? Leave them wanting more. I would have liked a decent show-down with the ex-husband at the end, but I think the author's angle is that Sal's real problem is with his own atitude, so this ending is smarter if not to everyone's taste. All in all, though, certainly a great piece of work considering it is aiming to be 'open to all readers'.

CAUGHT IN LITTLEHAMPTON SUSSEX ENGLAND

Journal Entry 55 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, May 13, 2004

I am a big Lee Child fan and also like the books of James Patterson, so this was quite literally a gift. At 280 pages or whatever it was a bit short for my taste but perfectly formed and a hell of a thriller. It dares to be different. In a world where everything is 'same old' and 'been there done that' this is quite an achievement in itself.

CAUGHT IN SEA PALLING, NORWICH NORFOLK ENGLAND

Journal Entry 56 by Andanotherthing from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 14, 2004

A fabby book. I agree with the better comments of other readers.

CAUGHT IN FOREST HILL LONDON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 57 by afewgreatbooks from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, May 16, 2004

The sun was shining, I needed a good read, and this arrived. Immensely readable and for a thriller, disconcertingly profound.

CAUGHT IN CHISWICK LONDON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 58 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, May 18, 2004

It works as a comedy in my opinion. No one can deny it is very funny and the comedy allows the plot to be over the top as a thriller. Jumping off the top of the transport bridge carrying a baby... the death by sculpture. It's a comedy and a very good one at that.

CAUGHT IN BOISE IDAHO USA

Journal Entry 59 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Friday, May 21, 2004

We gave the Brits Sex and the City and they give us Paul Vincent; filthy and funny and fresh. A good read I recommend and pass on.

CAUGHT IN BILLINGS MONTANA USA

Journal Entry 60 by scavenger from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 25, 2004

An intriguing book. Certainly it is written with more flair than most books in this genre and certainly I rooted for the protagonist but the author insists on larger than life storylines again and again, and this detracts from the excellent detail and insight into Sal and Gabrielle's relationship. For a crime book though, pretty imprssive.

Journal Entry 61 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, May 25, 2004

This author has single-handedly restored my faith in the British crime novel. It is as good as everyone says. Better even. A joy.

CAUGHT IN CONWY WALES UK

Journal Entry 62 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Thursday, May 27, 2004

The strength was in the central character. He was flawed and pleasant and wasn't well connected and sometimes didn't even make any sense. I liked Gabby too, but then I'm a bloke. I'd have married her even if she had turned out to be the killer.

CAUGHT IN SCALBY SCARBOROUGH GB

Journal Entry 63 by southernbelle2 from Bedford, Bedfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 28, 2004

This is now in my top three thrillers along with Silence of the Lambs, and The Treatment. 10 out of 10 to Vincent for taking chances and for writing a thriller that is so much fun.

CAUGHT IN BEDFORD HERTS GB

Journal Entry 64 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Better than good. A friendly page turner that didn't rely on gore or police procedural cliches. Interesting characters, a high gasp factor. I dip in and out of the mystery genre as a rule, preferring modern fiction, so I can't be sure, but I'd day this is among the best modern crime books.

CAUGHT IN STONEHAVEN SCOTLAND UK

Journal Entry 65 by Leerjet on Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Sick of high brow books that are unrewarding to read? Sick of low brow books which are slapped together? I get the feeling this author is. He's attempting to solve both problems at once. I read elsewhere that he wanted to be a literary James Patterson. He won't get any arguments from me. This book is a superb achievement. Paul Vincent is obviously quite young and there is certainly an air that he will get better and better.

CAUGHT IN PARSON'S GREEN LONDON ENGLAND

Journal Entry 66 by mugglesforever on Thursday, July 01, 2004

Everyone seems to be doing critiques of this book, so in my view, I thought the thriller side of the book was forced but this was more than made up for by the excellent characterisation, particularly the lead, Sal, and Gabrielle; the delightful comedy; and the details about Basque life. This is a book with a human touch and a lot to say about relationhips. I shall certainly read Paul Vincent's others

CAUGHT IN BROADHEATH SUFFOLK ENGLAND

Journal Entry 67 by ramsayram from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 14, 2004

A light read, a thriller, a work of art, the work of a genius? All of these things crossed my mind. Some people have apparently had touble with the ending, but I thought that was the crowning glory.
A page turner. There. That's my personnal highest accolade. A true page turner.

CAUGHT IN LONDON ENGLAND UK

Journal Entry 68 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, August 21, 2004

It was a curious experience. I thought the book should be better but also I couldn't recall a book this good. A great read on most counts though: perfect characters and breathtaking pace.

Journal Entry 69 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, August 21, 2004

Journal Entry 70 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Saturday, August 21, 2004

CAUGHT IN LONDON ENGLAND UNITED KINGDOM

Journal Entry 71 by Tirelessreader from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 28, 2004

I enjoyed this book although I found it a bit hurried in parts. It's almost as if the author had never read a book himself because it is a bestseller in format but with the delicate values of a Booker. Did he fall between the two stools? Not in my opinion. A great book.

CAUGHT IN IPSWICH SUFFOLK ENGLAND