corner corner Annie and the Old One

Annie and the Old One
by Miska Miles, Peter Parnall | Children's Books
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 5/17/2014

status (set by mdm139): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Saturday, May 17, 2014

I've often heard of this book, which was recognized with a Newbery Honor and Christopher Award in 1972. I don't remember reading it until this afternoon when I found the story very beautiful and touching. Annie, a young Navajo girl, must come to terms with her beloved grandmother's expected death. A Navajo "Old One," Grandmother summons her family and explains that "when the new rug is taken from the loom, I will go to Mother Earth." Of course Annie tries to slow the weaving of the rug. This brought back memories of my own grandmother, a very elegant Southern lady, who urged me to take things from her house that I wanted while she waited to "join" my grandfather, her beloved husband of nearly half a century who died very suddenly. She'd had a good life, she told me, and was ready for her death. Like Annie, I wasn't ready to hear that my grandmother felt ripe for death. I refused to take her things. But what she managed to give me spiritually is precious beyond imagining. My grandmother seems present here in my house in gifts of family silver, china and jewelry that once were hers. She made sure I received these in Christmas gifts through the years. Annie's choice of the weaving stick in this story is particularly touching. Annie doesn't quite have the strength to choose but her grandmother like mine manages to give the gift anyway. Annie is eventually able to take up her grandmother's gift and use it in acceptance as a legacy. This made me wonder how I am using the gifts bestowed by my grandmother. How do those of us in this life take up the wisdom and work of our foremothers and fathers? I'm not ready to go yet but I try to give things that represent my love to my young ones whenever the opportunity arises. My grandmother taught me that. But I was slower than the Annie of our story to understand the lasting gifts of the old ones.

Miska Miles was one of the nom de plums used by children's author Patricia Miles Martin, a native of the American West who worked in elementary education for four years before she started writing. Martin wrote over 100 books for children using her maiden name, Patricia A. Miles, and two pseudonyms, Miska Miles and Jerry Lane. Martin, raised on a farm, actually at one time lived on a Navajo reservation and was an avid traveler. Most of her stories came from her experiences. They featured cultures of many lands, animals, most often horses, and nature. Miles also wrote some non-fiction for children, especially biographies.

I loved this book's two-toned illustrations by Peter Parnall, a native New Yorker raised in the Mojave Desert. Like Martin, now a departed foremother, Parnall, still in this life, has been very prolific--as a children's book illustrator and sometime author as well.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (5/20/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book was a real find. And I'm very happy I read it. Recently, I found hyphen8 has an interest in Newbery Honor books. Because only three copies of this are registered in bookcrossing, I decided to share it directly. I hope hyphen8 that you don't mind. There's just not that much bookcrossing activity here in Georgia. And, having been to Hawaii, there was something about this book that made me feel this would fit there. I dedicate this release to the memory of a great Hawaiian, Grandma June. I'll never forget the grace of the hula she danced for her granddaughter.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, May 24, 2014

What a lovely surprise! This book arrived unexpectedly yesterday, and is much appreciated. I hadn't heard of this book, but the illustrations look wonderful and the story sounds like it's definitely one worth reading. I will read it gladly and try to find a new home for it when I'm done.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, September 08, 2014

No child wants to lose a beloved grandparent, and Annie tries very hard to stop the inevitable. This is a lovely story about learning acceptance ("grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change").

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, October 10, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (10/10/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book is headed for Nevada: possibly for release on Halloween!

I'll count this release for DragonGoddess's TICK TOCK challenge and Secretariat's 2014 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 40).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 6 by mdm139 at Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

received today thank you

Journal Entry 7 by mdm139 at Blue Diamond and Durango in Las Vegas, Nevada USA on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Released 2 yrs ago (11/1/2014 UTC) at Blue Diamond and Durango in Las Vegas, Nevada USA

this book is a gift. I hope you enjoy the book you found. You may now read it, release it, and follow it through its journey as it is passed on from reader to reader. Happy Reading!