corner corner The Conjuror's Bird

The Conjuror's Bird
by Martin Davies | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingbluezwuzlwing of Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on 4/23/2014

status (set by bluezwuzl): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingbluezwuzlwing from Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Fitz, specialist in extinct species and university professor with a staggering career, is also a taxidermist of some renown. Thus he seems to be the right person to unravel the history of "The Mysterious Bird of Ulieta", a stuffed little creature once owned by Joseph Banks, the great 18th Century naturalist. Fitz soon realizes that to find the long lost specimen, he has to find out more about the extraordinary woman Banks loved - a woman who has disappeared from history as effectively as the bird he is hunting...

This book will be on a ring shortly

List of participants:
- LilyKlip (Germany, ?)
- penelopewanders (Switzerland, dom. or European shipping)
- Andrasthe (Austria, EU shipping)
- Sparkish (UK, intl. shipping)
- Sherlockfan (NZL, int shipping)
- Billbooks (Aus. int. shipping)
- Olivia_Lo (Taiwan, int. shipping)
- book-a-billy
- the book is back now

Journal Entry 2 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Thank you for sharing this book. I really enjoyed reading it. This book is full of interesting characters on an exciting quest.

edit: penelopewanders is not at home at the moment and i will post the book to her at the beginning of August

edit2 (10 August): penelopewanders is away longer than I thought and I will post the book to her in about 10 days.

Journal Entry 3 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, September 01, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/1/2014 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Finally on its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 4 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, September 18, 2014

This has arrived safely in the Swiss Alps- thanks so much for sending! I'll try to get to it soon, although things are very busy workwise these days.

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sometimes I'm not sure what inspires me to sign up for a ring - but I'm glad I signed up for this one. There were interesting parallels between Fitz and Banks... and the mysterious Miss B...n, is a great character, even when she's not so mysterious. The contemporary parts made good reading as well, with the timidity of the main character where the women were concerned so tangible and reminiscent of Banks.
I've now written twice for the next address - before I began reading and now that I've finished. Hopefully I'll get it soon so that I can send it on. Thanks for making this available and sending!

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Monday, September 29, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (9/29/2014 UTC) at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland

Now on its way off the Swiss Alps and over to Austria - where there may or may not be another climb waiting. Thanks for making this one available. Happy trails little book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAndrasthewing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Sunday, December 14, 2014

arrived late but safely

Journal Entry 8 by Sparkish at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, February 20, 2015

Book arrived safe and sound. Thank you very much. It's a book I have wanted to read for some time - I will get it started as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 9 by Sparkish at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, February 27, 2015

An enjoyable read, although the way it was structured grated after a while. I am originally from Lincolnshire and it was very nice to see familiar places in the book - also I have grown up hearing Banks' name and it was nice to find out a little more.

I have PM'd for the next address so hopefully the book will be on its travels again soon

Journal Entry 10 by Sparkish at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 06, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (3/6/2015 UTC) at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom

The book is now on it's way to New Zealand. Hope you enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 11 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thanks Sparkish. The book arrived safely yesterday 11 March - I think that is really fast. I'm so impressed with British postal services. Should be able to start it fairly soon so will write to BillBooks for his address. On second thoughts, he is, like me, in Southern Cross Book Exchange so I should have it somewhere.
Really enjoyed the postcard you included. I am definitely a Royalist and have no wish to sever our country's relationship from the Monarchy.
We had such a delightful visit from Wills and Kate with their delightful Baby George during 2014. They sure made friends and influenced people while they were in our country.
I'm sure that reading about Joseph Banks will resonate with me - he also came to NZ.

Journal Entry 12 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, March 28, 2015

I really loved this book. Couldn't put it down. I liked the intermingling tales crossing time lines. I'd never heard of the Mysterious Bird of Ulieta, nor of Ulieta. Now that I find the island is part of the Society Islands in the Pacific it made it almost seem like home - almost.

So pleased to have had the chance to read this. Books with true things interwoven with acceptable stories are high on my favourites' list. Thanks to bluezwuz for starting this ring.

It will be on its way to billbooks who is the next name on the list - he is also going the 666 Challenge so will be pleased to add this to his collection I hope.

Journal Entry 13 by Sherlockfan at Upper Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, April 16, 2015

Posting to Billbooks whose turn it is for this book.
Great book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Journal Entry 14 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sounds good on all fronts mystery and 666 challenge and a high recommendation from Sherlockfan whose taste in books I usually agree with

Journal Entry 15 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, June 23, 2015

An interesting read learnt some things which is always good. Definite relevance to us here in Australia as Joseph Banks was the first European to fully describe our unique fauna and flora. On the down side I have some how managed to read a few books this year that keeping jumping around from time and place etc. and it is starting to wear a little thin. Off to Taiwan

Journal Entry 16 by Olivia_Lo at Taichung, Taichung County Taiwan on Tuesday, July 07, 2015

The book is here! Can't wait to read it :)

Journal Entry 17 by Olivia_Lo at Taichung, Taichung County Taiwan on Sunday, July 26, 2015

There are two stories - present and past - in the novel going on at the same time. I love the story of the past about the affair between Joseph Banks and his mistress while the story of the present doesn't fascinate me much. The mistress is a haunting character. I appreciate her bravery, determination, maturity and knowledge. She really differentiated herself from other women at that time. Out of the 8 stars I gave to this book, there are 6 that are contributed to the story of Joseph Banks and his mistress. This book will soon be going to the next reader as part of a bookring!

Journal Entry 18 by Olivia_Lo at Xinzhuang 新莊, Taipei County Taiwan on Monday, September 14, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (9/14/2015 UTC) at Xinzhuang 新莊, Taipei County Taiwan

Sent off to the next participant in the bookring.

Journal Entry 19 by book-a-billy at -- Irgendwo in Bayern, Bayern Germany on Saturday, October 31, 2015

The book arrived here today after more than a month of international shipping - it will have a little rest (which allows me to finish another book) and then move on (back to bluezwuzl) when I have read it.
Thank you very much for sending me this book!!!

Journal Entry 20 by book-a-billy at -- Irgendwo in Bayern, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, November 17, 2015

I liked the book a lot - both of the two stories - present and past. In my opinion one of them alone would not be as interesting as the book is now. I also appreciated that the author explains what of his story is fiction and what reality.
It is always hard to imagine what constraints people had to face not so much time ago (well, in this case, a few centuries). It makes me glad I have the possibility to live today.
Thank you very much for the ring, bluezwuzl!!!

Journal Entry 21 by book-a-billy at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Sunday, December 06, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (12/6/2015 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Ooops, das Buch habe ich schon vor einiger Zeit abgeschickt und nun entdecke ich es noch auf meinem Shelf unter "Bücher im Besitz" - also schnell die Freilassinfo nachgetragen. Vielen Dank fürs Mitlesen-Lassen!

Journal Entry 22 by wingbluezwuzlwing at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Now the book has come back to rest for a while on my personal shelf. Thanks to you all for treating it so well!