corner corner Diary of a Facelift

Diary of a Facelift
by Toyah Willcox | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by daffodil-2 of Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on 4/20/2014

status (set by earthcaroleanne): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by daffodil-2 from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, April 20, 2014

This good condition hardback was bought from a charity shop in N. Walsham, Norfolk.

From the cover:- " What I am about to undergo is the last taboo. Ninety per cent of all women are unhappy with some part of their bodies, but the one area that is most vulnerable to our insecurities is the one part that holds the key to our souls, our personality...You neither want to be defined by your face nor judged by it, but you are and people do.

Like may women in her mid-forties, Toyah Willcox felt an increasing distance between the lively, energetic person she knew herself to be, and the tired, lined face that stared back at her in the mirror. After a few years' experimenting with diet and Botox, she vowed to take the plunge. She would have a facelift."

REVIEW:- Although I am a fan of Toyah I think the book smacks of self-importance, vanity and self-obsession. It was interesting nevertheless to read of the trials and tribulations she faced preparing herself for and eventually going through with her facelift procedure. She actually looked fine to me in the "before" photo in the book but it must be difficult for women who live in the public eye to keep up appearances to their and the public's satisfaction. I couldn't believe how insensitive the staff of a hairdressing salon were to her when she had her badly damaged hair washed for the first time after the op when they put her "in the middle of the salon and in full view of the road". She still had stitches and lots of bruises at this time.

It seems as if plastic surgery is addicting as she says at the end of the book that she now wants her "already flat" stomach "done"-just so she can bare her midriff with confidence.....

After spending a great deal of cash on the operation I felt she was a little foolish at times not to always follow medical advice, especially as she so badly wanted a good end result.

Journal Entry 2 by daffodil-2 at Horning, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, April 25, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/24/2014 UTC) at Horning, Norfolk United Kingdom

This book was given to Snoopy56 when we met for lunch at The Galley, Horning.

To the finder:-

I already have books travelling in New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia, the USA, Brazil, Madeira, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Turkey, the Canary Islands, Croatia, Holland, France, the Channel Islands, Wales, Scotland and all over England.

Journal Entry 3 by snoopy56 at Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I've always been an admirer of Toyah and I can understand why she felt the need to undergo such invasive surgery. The photos certainly look impresssive. The book was written almost 10 years ago but I haven't seen any recent photos.

Journal Entry 4 by snoopy56 at Ormesby St Margaret, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

This was an interesting read and I would recommend it to anyone considering plastic surgery (possibly in the hope that it might put them off !). I agree with Daffodil-2, the author does come across as very self-obsessed.

Journal Entry 5 by snoopy56 at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 22, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (9/22/2017 UTC) at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Going on the book buffet at the 2017 unconvention.

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at ==somewhere in Loughborough== in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (9/24/2017 UTC) at ==somewhere in Loughborough== in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Taking on the release walk around Loughborough.