corner corner Rivers of London

Rivers of London
by Ben Aaronovitch | Literature & Fiction
Registered by shnedwards of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 4/15/2014

status (set by azuki): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by shnedwards from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I'd heard Ben Aaronovitch's name mentioned a lot recently, so snapped this up when I found it in a charity shop. I love a paranormal whodunnit with a sense of humour. This is a vividly imagined, very enjoyable read with quite a few snorts and sniggers. I will be looking out for the next book in the series.

Journal Entry 2 by shnedwards at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (4/15/2014 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Given to discoverylover. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thanks again for this Snedwards! And for such an awesome holiday!

Journal Entry 4 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, August 22, 2014

I've just finished this and really enjoyed it! I'll also definitely be on the lookout for the next one in the series.

Journal Entry 5 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Picked up at Book Festival meetup - thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch - Good

This was a happy find! Picked it up at a bookcrossing meetup purely because I liked the cover. I had no real idea what it was about until later. One reviewer suggested it was what would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Police. Fantasy crime.

The story centres around PC Peter Grant, newly qualified and about to be assigned to a unit. One night he is involved in a murder enquiry where he appears to have taken a witness statement from a dead man. He finds himself assigned to Inspector Nightingale, the last wizzard in England. Together they investigate a series of murders and come into contact with all sorts of wierd and wonderful beings that live amongst us.

Engaging story (although a little obvious in places), nice level of humour, first of a series. If I happen upon the second, I'll read it, but I might not rush to find it when there are so many other books to chose from.

(Hmm, I may be doing a dis-service to this as I read it three books ago, really should have written this while it was fresh in my mind as now that I re-read what I've written, I'm sure I enjoyed it more than it sounds)

Journal Entry 7 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 29, 2015

Have decided to make this a bookray.

The forum post is here:

Lesenmachtfroh, Germany -> anywhere

BaiLong, China -> anywhere
gaboyd, new zealand -> anywhere
peacemonger84 USA -> anywhere

Journal Entry 8 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, May 29, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (5/29/2015 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted out to Verns today. Happy travels, little book

Journal Entry 9 by SEP-393294 at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 13, 2016

Quick note to say I received the book this week, and I'm going to get it sent off as quickly as possible

Journal Entry 10 by SEP-393294 at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

there are a lot of really great things about this book!

great things:

* it's like an adult harry potter, with proper magic

* the references in detail to the history of rivers and london places that i know/walk past

* nice balance of humour and storyline/dialogue and action

not so good:

* about two-thirds of the way through the book, Peter falls and hurts his ankle seemingly badly. in the next few pages, he is running and kicking and doing crowd control hmmmm

* i preferred the character of Nightingale to the main character Peter. although Peter is important to suspend disbelief and narrate us along the story, i found Nightingale to be like some of Boris Akunin's characters (Fandorin) and was more interesting generally

* some of the jokes and false leads don't work very well, like the romance with his co-partner and the references to Peter's background. the references don't really lead anywhere or add much to the character as they're not hugely relevant to the character or story (just an opinion!)

Journal Entry 11 by SEP-393294 at Bookring/ray in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/25/2016 UTC) at Bookring/ray in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom

hope to send off tomorrow

Journal Entry 12 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2016

Arrived safely with me. Thanks to everyone who got it this far. I shall read it next and forward it on to the next reader soon as I can.

Journal Entry 13 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 07, 2016

This was a fantastic surprise! I don't think I've ever read anything like it. What you have here is a masterful blend of real London, Metropolitan Policing and Magic! (Because everybody needs a bit of magic in their lives - or it would be so boring). He's done it so cleverly, you could almost believe it's real. But best of all was finding a book that kept me entertained because I honestly had no idea where it was going or where it would end up! I look forward to reading more in this series.

Journal Entry 14 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/7/2016 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Just parcelled this up to be posted on my lunch break tomorrow. I get to go (The London) Underground and this book gets to go to Greece!!! Luck book.

Journal Entry 15 by Merolia at Halandri, Attica Greece on Wednesday, June 29, 2016

With me now, thank you for sending! Already started reading, going fast.

Journal Entry 16 by Merolia at Halandri, Attica Greece on Monday, July 11, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/11/2016 UTC) at Halandri, Attica Greece

I've got mixed feelings about this book. It was a very fast and pleasurable read, I liked the characters and the humor and I loved the descriptions of London ...but the plot was one big mess, at least the way I perceived it. Still, I'd be very happy to read the next of the series, even if it is only in order to meet these characters and their city again.

The book is now traveling to LilyKlip. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I'm really sorry. I forgot to make a journal entry. The book arrived with me weeks ago and I'm already about a third into it.

I gave up about halfway through. Can't really say why but the story didn't really interest me enough and neither did the characters.

Journal Entry 18 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Released 10 mos ago (11/15/2016 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

Traveling again.

Journal Entry 19 by wingLesenmachtfrohwing at Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Friday, November 18, 2016

Arrived today and has to wait a little to be read but I must admit to be curious.
Thank you for the ring and for shipping.

Journal Entry 20 by wingLesenmachtfrohwing at Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Thursday, December 08, 2016

My first language is German, but I often read books in English.
This one wasn't an easy reader for me. If it hadn't been a ring I might have put away for a while. I enjoyed reading about all the streets and places of London which were quite familiar to me. (I have stopped counting my visits to London.) I liked to learn about all the hidden rivers of the town. I was amused to find ghost and wizards in a detective story but it's the weirdest story I have ever read and there were quite a few details I didn't understand.
Anyway the book was an interesting challenge for me, but I am not striving for the next part of the series. I might have a try with a German copy, if I ever find one.
I am happy this is a ring so I need not think about where to release it. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 21 by wingLesenmachtfrohwing at Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Saturday, December 10, 2016

Released 9 mos ago (12/10/2016 UTC) at Nürnberg, Bayern Germany

Being shipped to China now.
Bonne lecture, BaiLong.

Journal Entry 22 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Thursday, February 09, 2017

Thanks for the book, and the fantastic package too!

Journal Entry 23 by BaiLong at Shanghai, Shanghai China on Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Loved it! Interresting scenario, great discovery of the city of London, intriguing characters.

Looking forward to the rest of the series!

Journal Entry 24 by BaiLong at Given to the next BookCrosser on the list, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (3/14/2017 UTC) at Given to the next BookCrosser on the list, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Safe travel little book, and enjoy the magic of your journey!

Journal Entry 25 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, March 24, 2017

Received, today. Thank you
Have emailed peacemonger84, a couple of times. No reply.
Pail me, if you you like to be next.

Journal Entry 26 by gaboyd at Holiday House in Hanmer Springs, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, August 18, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (8/19/2017 UTC) at Holiday House in Hanmer Springs, Canterbury New Zealand

Released while staying the night

Journal Entry 27 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, September 21, 2017

Received this a few days ago after the hurricane, and I finally got wifi back so I can come online to journal all the books!

Really glad to see this book, as like some of you, I've heard great things about this series. My library however does not carry it, so I am happy to receive this RABCK. Thank you, look forward to reading it as I am sure I will enjoy it tremendously.