corner corner Letters From Rifka

Letters From Rifka
by Karen Hesse | Children's Books
Registered by wingDove-i-Libriwing of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 4/5/2014

status (set by elizardbreath): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingDove-i-Libriwing from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Young Adult Historical Fiction. Been sitting here since The Librettos' home school days. Going to read and release it sometime soon!

Letters From Rifka is a young adult historical novel by Karen Hesse, published by Holt in 1992. It features a Jewish family's emigration from Russia in 1919, to Belgium and ultimately to the U.S., from the perspective of daughter Rifka, based on the personal account by Hesse's great-aunt Lucille Avrutin.

Hesse and Letters won the 2012 Phoenix Award from the Children's Literature Association, recognizing the best children's book published twenty years earlier that did not win a major award. Among contemporary honors it won the 1993 National Jewish Book Award ...

The protagonist's name, Rifka, is the East European Jewish version of Rebecca.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sending this on a trip to Arkansas when I'm done!

April 4, 2014: What a sweet little book of family, life, love. Such trials people went through to get here, to the land that promised them freedom! I hope they all found what they were seeking.

Journal Entry 2 by wingDove-i-Libriwing at to the daughter of a friend, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (4/10/2014 UTC) at to the daughter of a friend, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases

On its way to a family in Arkansas!☺ Happy Traveling, Book! ☺

Journal Entry 3 by MrsTilney at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I received this book from a friend of mine. I'm now releasing it.

Journal Entry 4 by MrsTilney at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (1/9/2018 UTC) at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA

Releasing to elizardbreath.

Journal Entry 5 by wingelizardbreathwing at Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Saturday, January 13, 2018

I got this from MrsTilney. Adding it to our homeschool reading shelf.