corner corner The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios

The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios
by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 1/16/2014

status (set by Soozreader): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 16, 2014

"Here's a remarkable collection from the author of Life of Pi. In The Facts Behind..., two young friends discover the transformative power of the imagination as they join together to craft a story about a Finnish family of Italian extraction whom they name the Roccamatios - Rok-kah-MAH-tee-ohs. This unforgettable novella and three other moving and thought-provoking stories display the startling mix of dazzle and depth that has made Yann Martel an international phenomenon."

***
I bought this at a second-hand stall in Phuket Town, mainly because of the title. I was unable to finish Life of Pi, so let's see what happend with this one.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Well, what do you know - I liked this one! Particularly the eponymous novella, which some reviewers have found overly sentimental but which I thought was subtle and very moving.

I also enjoyed the second story, called "The Time I Heard the Private Donald J. Rankin String Concerto with One Discordant Violin, by the American Composer John Morton". I think Martel manages to describe the music, the setting, the atmosphere and the people very well.

The last two stories, though, are overly experimental to my liking. They do serve as a showcase for how Martel has gone about learning his craft. Maybe I should try Life of Pi again?

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (2/5/2014 UTC) at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Here's your "HEP" book, enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Friday, February 07, 2014

Thank you so much for sending me this book and for the surprise as well:D