corner corner Atticus.

Atticus.
by Ron Hansen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by GorgeousGlo on Tuesday, January 06, 2004

status (set by auros): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by GorgeousGlo on Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Even though it is obvious and clear on the back cover, I picked up this book without the notion that it was going to be a murder mystery. I was more convinced that it was going to be a plain vanilla novel.

This is good, because I am not much of a mystery reader. For my taste, the willing suspension of disbelief that most mysteries require is too much to stomach, and I get disappointed way before the end.

Atticus is terrific. Not only it is a beautiful story about a father and his prodigal son. It is also an engaging murder mystery with an amazing plot. I was truly surprised at the resolution of the story. There was very little in the plot to suggest that this was how everything would end.

The writing was sincere and powerful. Such beautiful similes: “Awkward as a box full of shoes”. What an evident thing to say, and how exquisite. “... the water was as tepid and clear as Perrier but from a distance had the turquoise color of kitchens in the fifties”. The description of the wild Mexican landscape, the people of Resurrección, all done to perfection. This was a tactile novel, where you could see and smell and feel what the characters were experiencing.

The love that Atticus feels for his son Scott, no matter how messed up, rotten and selfish Scott has been, is so sincere and pure and beyond all reproach that it brought tears to my eyes in more than one occasion. This is one of the best books I have read ever.

Journal Entry 2 by GorgeousGlo at Costco in Fairfield, California USA on Thursday, February 12, 2004

Released on Thursday, February 12, 2004 at Costco in Fairfield, California USA.

On top of gas pump #1.

Journal Entry 3 by auros from Suisun City, California USA on Friday, February 13, 2004

going to read it and leave it somewhere for someone else to find

CAUGHT IN FAIRFIELD CA US