corner corner The Goldfinch

The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt | Literature & Fiction
Registered by BookBirds of -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on 1/3/2014

status (set by CanticleLost): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by BookBirds from -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Friday, January 03, 2014

TBR

Journal Entry 2 by BookBirds at Central Square, New York USA on Thursday, February 06, 2014

I was eagerly awaiting the new Donna Tartt book! Its inclusion in the upcoming 2014 Tournament of Books (themorningnews.org/tob) gave me a reason to read it right away! I thought this book couldn't possibly just be about a painting, I thought it would be an amazing adventure that starts with a painting. But no, the narrative really revolves around this painting, as it is kind of a stand-in for the main character Theo's mother when she dies. A painting of a solemn, determined finch attached to a perch with a short chain. (I'm disappointed the cover only shows one small bit of the painting.. as it's really the statement that the book likes to discuss. A lot.) Really, the book does seem like it took ten years to write - there is so much writing here! The book does sort of amble around. I like the book, but it seems like it was not the book for me at the get go because it mostly contains my least favorite things to read about: affluent people, New York City, and drugs. Aren't there other cities in America, already? These are my own faults, not the book, though it would be nice to visit another city in a book for once.

Theo is a very sympathetic character from page one, but by the end, I wasn't really a fan on how he saw the world. I think that no matter who you are, there is always going to be a person out in the world that has it worse than you (I mean, there's only a 1 in 7 billion chance that you are that person, right?) I also feel like Theo should have appreciated the small things, like I thought he was doing with such an admiration for that painting, but I guess to him, anything smaller than that wasn't worth appreciating. Theo's unrequited love interest is a redhead named Pippa (Longstocking?) that went through the same disaster he did. I would have liked to see more of Pippa's story, as she seemed to be on the outskirts of the book. Theo's scrappy friend Boris is a great character too.

I thought I'd have a problem with how the narrative is written, as I thought it was Theo remembering specific details in his 20s from when he was a teenager, but it is explained that he has been writing in journals starting when he was 13 (well then another problem: how is he this smart at 13?) I liked this book, but I could have done without the almost 800 pages to see Theo's world view that I didn't really agree with anyway. It's almost like there was no redemption for Theo. I also didn't seem to be in love with the writing style itself -- I better not be getting book spoiled! I should love Donna Tartt's writing style! But I might have a theory I don't love: that when publishers have an idea that a writer will be on the bestseller's list, the publishers might want them to "write for the masses"? I don't know. I'd say the comparisons to Charles Dickens might be the page count (is Tartt being paid by the word here?) but it does have hints of orphan Pip's challenges in 'Great Expectations' (most of these characters are orphans) and if Scrooge had anti-realizations at the end of 'Christmas Carol'. Add some Jay McInerney to the mix (who just happens to be in the 'thanks to' list at the end of the book.) But I'd say I make that comparison because many of Jay McInerney's books have NYC, drugs and affluent people. I'm still looking forward to the next one from Tartt anyway -- I just hope it happens to not have the themes I usually don't like!

Journal Entry 3 by BookBirds at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Bookray time! Please send me a message if you'd like to join within the USA or Europe. This is a hardcover copy around 770 pages. I must warn anyone that I had a nightmare I had to re-read this book, so please don't blame me if you have similar nightmares. :D

No rules for this book, rather than move it to the top of your TBR pile after the current book you're reading. I know it's a long one...please just try to send it in a timely fashion. thank you!

PARTICIPANTS
Perryfran - UT
LaRue - NY
Minesayn - OH
Missprisy - OK
ReaderToo - TX
Peacemonger84 - AK (skipped - no reply)
Icila - France
Sparkish - United Kingdom
LolaRobin - Finland (EU mailing only)
CanticleLost - US (Florida)
...you! Just send me a message!

Please check the shipping list before you mail, as it might change as more people are added to the list. thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by BookBirds at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (6/26/2014 UTC) at -- wild in the usa, -- Wild Released somewhere in USA -- USA

Sent to Perryfran for the bookray! Perryfran, you might have to take charge of this bookray, I know your bookrays are usually more successful. Not sure why no one else wants to join... Hopefully you enjoy this one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Received today. I have read several reviews of this both good and not so good but I am looking forward to reading it. I have a copy of The Secret History that I keep meaning to read. Maybe reading this one will be an incentive. Also, I see a couple of others have joined the bookray so I will get on this as soon as I finish my current read. Also, I will be getting Doctor Sleep in the mail to you soon. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Phew! It took me about 3 weeks but I made it through all 771 pages of this massive novel that in essence was about a young man, Theo, who lost his mother during a terror attack on an art museum in New York and who during the chaos of the explosion, was able to make off with the classic painting "The Goldfinch" by Fabritius. Along the way, Theo lives with a well-to-do family in New York, the Barbours, moves to Las Vegas with his wayward father, then back to New York to live and become partners with an antique furniture restorer, Hobie, who was the partner of another person killed in the art museum explosion. Throughout Theo's moves, he is able to keep the "Goldfinch" a secret and hidden away. While in Las Vegas, Theo becomes friends with Boris, a fast-talking schemer from the Ukraine who has traveled the world with his father. Boris is probably to me the most interesting character in the book and he plays a key role throughout along with "the Goldfinch" itself. Overall, I did enjoy the novel and thought Tartt's writing was eloquent; however, I think the story could have been shortened drastically. I just thought there was way too much detail although much of it kept me fascinated including details about the art world and antique furniture.

Thanks BookBirds for sharing this as a bookray. Thankfully, I did not have nightmares about having to reread this although I am glad that I will not have to do so! I have LaRue's address and will get this in the mail to continue its travels ASAP.

Journal Entry 7 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (7/22/2014 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Heading back to NY to LaRue who is next in line for the bookray. Enjoy and good luck with this one!

Journal Entry 8 by LaRue at Medford, New York USA on Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Just received in the mail, will read it as soon as I finish my current book. I was lucky enough to actually see this painting recently when it visited The Frick Collection here in NY. http://www.frick.org/exhibitions/mauritshuis/605

Journal Entry 9 by LaRue at Medford, New York USA on Thursday, October 16, 2014

A tour De force. I would give it ten stars if it weren't for the parts that are repetitive and , where you wish she would just get on with the story. But she creates several distinct worlds here for Theo to move through and each is absolutely perfect from the rarified uptown apartments to Hobie' s seedy downtown furniture restoration studio to the dusty dry hedonism of Vegas. There is a lot of writing here and this book is very dense but in the end worth reading it all. The last ten pages are knockouts.

Journal Entry 10 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Received in the mail today...have a few others to read, but will get on it as soon as possible. Synchronicity factor at work: my husband spoke at a Unitarian meeting the other day and the leader read various parts from this novel (I knew at the time that it was supposed to be on its way to me)...just that it a weird coincidence.

Journal Entry 11 by wingminesaynwing at Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, June 11, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (6/11/2015 UTC) at Edmond, Oklahoma USA

"No two persons ever read the same book."--Edmund Wilson

Sharing this book with the wider world--enjoy!
I have either registered it, or received it from another person who is willing to share it, too. Consider logging onto www.bookcrossing.com and letting us know where it is been and where it is going next. It can be done anonymously or join the site as a member.

A long slog with this one as Theo Decker relates his story (and life) with a stolen painting, that truly defines him. Beautifully written prose, but rather unlikable characters.

Being sent via media mail to the next member of the ray

Journal Entry 12 by missprisy at Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Monday, June 15, 2015

Just arrived today! I'm looking forward to reading it! Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by missprisy at Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I had a love/hate relationship with Theo. He didn't always make the best choices. Terrific story though and since I have a such a long commute, I picked up the audio book and LOVED it. The narrator kicked butt on getting everyone's accents correct and was able to read the non English parts perfectly. I have ReaderToo's address and plan on putting this book in the mail tomorrow.

Journal Entry 14 by missprisy at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Saturday, August 01, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/1/2015 UTC) at Sugar Land, Texas USA

On its way to the next reader! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015

I just received BookBirds bookray from missprisy in the mail today. Can't wait to get started! Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 16 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Saturday, October 10, 2015

I received this book as part of a book ray from BookBirds. I really enjoyed the first part of the book even though it was definitely sad, but by the time the main character arrived in Las Vegas it all went down hill pretty fast for me. Just was so painful to read how his life had spiraled out of control due to all of the bad choices he and those around him made that pretty much destroyed his life. Can't say it was one of my favorite books. Hopefully others will enjoy it more. I will be mailing it off to peacemonger84 just as soon as she sends me her address.

Journal Entry 17 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A big box from Texas in my letter box. What a treat !
And here is this huge book. I'm really very pleased. Ashamed too when I saw the mail rates.

Thank you so much Readertoo !

Journal Entry 18 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I too think that's a tour de force. Yes it's a huge book but in the end you realize that every page has a meaning although some are difficult to swallow. I agree with LaRue about the ten last ones.

And no Bookbirds, not all the books are set in New-York, I assure you that I read a lot of american books and mostly they are not.

Did I understand right : this is a ray and nobody else after me so I can reserve it for some thread in the RABCK forum ?

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, February 16, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (2/16/2017 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Sparkish.

Journal Entry 20 by Sparkish at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Received safely this morning. Many thanks for sending Icila :-)

Journal Entry 21 by Sparkish at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, April 28, 2017

I finished this a little earlier this month, it's a huge task but an enjoyable one, although I did feel that the book was a little longer than it needed to be. That said, this is a very satisfying read, it ties up all the plot points but leaves enough unsaid to make the book pop up in your head every so often, without any warning. I didn't find the characters particularly likeable but they all felt real and well rounded - if flawed. I was rooting for Theo all the way through - even if I did want to shake him at times!

This book will be on its way again as soon as I know the address of the next participant.

Journal Entry 22 by Sparkish at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 25, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (5/25/2017 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

The book is on its travels again. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by CanticleLost at West Palm Beach, Florida USA on Thursday, June 08, 2017

Cannot wait to read this one - I've heard good things.