corner corner Delta Of Venus

Delta Of Venus
by Anaïs Nin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by anavolena of Orlando, Florida USA on Friday, January 02, 2004

status (set by kayote): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by anavolena from Orlando, Florida USA on Friday, January 02, 2004

From the back:

Fifty years ago, Anaïs Nin created the female language for sexuality. She did it for a wealthy male patron for $1.00 a page. Delta of Venus, filled with seductive, erotic and full-bodied writing, reveals Anaïs Nin as a woman—and a writer—ahead of her time.

Journal Entry 2 by anavolena from Orlando, Florida USA on Monday, January 05, 2004

Mailed to weeblet, who accepted it on the Two Days or Replace book relay on CasualReader's site!

Journal Entry 3 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Tuesday, January 13, 2004

thanks!!

Journal Entry 4 by weeblet from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Friday, March 19, 2004

whew!

**mialing 3/19**
surface mail- don't hold your breath :)

Journal Entry 5 by LeighBCD on Sunday, March 28, 2004

received in the mail on Friday... thanks very much weeblet! I have never read anything by Anais Nin, now is the time to try her.

Journal Entry 6 by LeighBCD on Wednesday, April 14, 2004

I was surprised how modern is the voice of Anais Nin. I am glad I had the chance to read some of her work, finally! I am going to offer this up again as part of a book relay, I am sure this will find a new home. Thanks again weeblet!

Journal Entry 7 by LeighBCD at to kayote in Urbana, Illinois -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 15, 2004

Released on Thursday, April 15, 2004 at to kayote in Urbana, Illinois Controlled Releases.

I hope you enjoy the book!!

Journal Entry 8 by kayote from Urbana, Illinois USA on Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Wow! That was fast shipping for coming over the sea!. I will post more once I've read it, but wanted to let you know it arrived safely.

Journal Entry 9 by kayote from Urbana, Illinois USA on Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Ok, the back of this book is a bit misleading. Anais Nin may have invented the female language for sexuality, but she flat admits in the intro to this book, this isn't! This book is where she realized the normal language was male, and here and there you can see her experimenting with new words, ("In numerous passages I was intuitively using a woman's languages"), but not all by any means!

I prefer more recent erotica. I am not fond of the more violent language she uses is much of the book, "tearing","ripping", images of blood, etc--these are not things that I wish to feel! Many of the later chapters change to language less violent and more modern sounding. Even when the situations are very similar, it's amazing the difference word choice can make to describe a sensation. This is where I see her exploring the female language, and writing more closely to a woman's point of view.

I nearly quit reading this book. I am very glad I did not. The last half was significantly better. There are stories that would have been good except for one thing (such as the last segement with a guy who cuts women--wtf is that doing in an erotica story?).

This is a book that has some stories I would enjoy again, and some I would NEVER want to read again.

This is being given to a friend who thinks the idea is intiquing, and who has a bit broader view of such things, so might enjoy more of it.